Elecrtic blue jacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I see electric blue jacks at LFS's everywhere but they are always small, are these a dwarf covhlid or do they get as large as regular jacks?

They keep them small but they do get big as a reg. JD. They have logic to keeping them small.

They keep them small but they do get big as a reg. JD. They have logic to keeping them small.

What logic do they have for keeping them small? Breeders sell their fish at 1-1.5" so they don't require larger grow out tanks, plus with as many EBJD per spawn they constantly have fry.

HUKIT said:
What logic do they have for keeping them small? Breeders sell their fish at 1-1.5" so they don't require larger grow out tanks, plus with as many EBJD per spawn they constantly have fry.

Yes so they don't have to get big tanks and for people to think their adorable when they are small. If that makes sense.

Yeah got it, I was judt checking because i see big JD's or sale but never big EBJD's. Was unsure if they were basically a dwarf JD or
Not

EBJD are line bred for color and this process brings out certain qualities that are desirable and detrimental at the same time. Their immune system is weaker and with this are more vunerable to parasitic and bacteria infections which is why you rarely see them past 3", of they make it past this mark they'll generally have a better chance of survival. I've had them in the past and none of mine made it past 2.5", they stopped eating an withered away.

I have two and one already had parasite problems that required treatment. At this point they are both looking good, but this species variant is not as easy as a regular JD.

I don't think they sell them small because they are cute. More likely the size the breeder gets rid of them and at a good price.

5x5 said:
I have two and one already had parasite problems that required treatment. At this point they are both looking good, but this species variant is not as easy as a regular JD.

I don't think they sell them small because they are cute. More likely the size the breeder gets rid of them and at a good price.

Thats sounds right. If anyone has a lic
Of a large one i would love to see it

Heres mine. Kind of an older pic and from my phone... he's currently about 5-6 inches. If i can get a better pic ill add it here. They are extremely sensitive fish, as others have mentioned, and few make it to adulthood. They are also generally not very common to find in lfs (at least in my area), and grow out much slower than say a regular jack dempsey. For these reasons, stores charge much more for them and at a smaller size. They are a challenge to raise, but it's worth the effort when you see how beautiful they can become.

ForumRunner_20120705_185008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom