Electric being shut off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got a notice this afternoon from our power company that they are going to be shutting off the power for approximately 3 hours next Sunday. It said "approximately" but you never know how long that actually will be. We just made a Big Al's order this past week and bought 2 new air pumps. I was tempted to buy 3 battery powered pumps but didn't because we have been living here for a year through horrible storms, feet of snow, and flooding water and have never lost power.

What is the max length of time that you recommend going without electricity? If we do go ahead and order the battery powered pumps, do you think 1 is enough for a 150 Tall?

Thanks!

You think about the filters ? besides the air pumps? If you have a friend or family that has a generator i would ask to borrow it - for the day -- altho at a apartment complex that is not logical .. but a house it ould be - i don't think that it would be good cause they always say 3 hrs but it could be 4-7 hrs electricity is a funny thing .. esp when you have guys who are hrly on the case- ..

seems that our local verizon guys like to come out here as a gang 4 -5 trucks i see 2 doing work while 5 other guys are talking with thier arms folded -- nice - and they charge us 93 dollars for the 1st hr for a repair and 30$ each 1/2 after wtf .

I've used the battery-operated air pumps when my power went out. They ran for more than 24 hours on a new set of batteries. I think you should get three of them for the 150 gallon tank.

For me, I would go to the computer store and get a few UPS--uninterrupted power supply...
It might not go the whole few hours, so get a few so you can replace.
I use one on my ten gallon

tropicalfish said:
For me, I would go to the computer store and get a few UPS--uninterrupted power supply...
It might not go the whole few hours, so get a few so you can replace.
I use one on my ten gallon

second that idea, and then you can use it to protect your computer or plasma tv from power surges.

We blew a breaker the other day and didn't realize it. One of our tanks was completely off - heater, filters, etc. for about 7 hours and the fish were fine. Of course, better safe than sorry.

I re-checked the notice to see if they put a time on there and it is actually tomorrow that they are cutting the power. And they didn't give us a time frame either. So it could be at 8 AM or it could be at noon. We don't know.

We are looking for the cheapest alternative right now since I just spent my "play" money on the new light strip and ferts. :( They picked a crappy time to make us lose power. Not to mention, it is going to be 40 degrees outside tomorrow. I'm not concerned about the filters since they are all canisters. I'm just more concerned about keeping oxygen in the tank. To help with the cold I plan on putting big covers on top of the tanks to try to keep them as warm as possible. And when I get up in the morning I'm going to turn the furnace up to 80. Try to get this place nice and toasty.

Tonight James and I are going to scour the multiple lfs and try to find battery powered air pumps. I should have just bought the darn things the other day from Big Al's but I didn't. I even thought "I should get some of those for back up in case of a power outage.......nah. I'll buy them on the next order." Next time I'll know to go with my gut instinct.

So we should get probably 3 for the 150, 1 for the 55, and 1 for the 29?

A cheap UPS will run a big air pump for a LONG time. I would bet a $30 UPS would keep you average air pump running for days.

How close together do the tanks need to be to run a UPS? I have a tank in the living room. Another tank about 40 feet away in the bedroom. Then another tank about 100 feet away in the office. And if we connect that one we would have to open a window to run the extension cord causing cold air to enter the apt.

I forgot to address the Generator idea. We are in an apt where our electricity is shared with an office building below us.

Fishyfanatic said:
I'm not concerned about the filters since they are all canisters.

You should!!!!

Canister without flow will go anaerobic & toxic gases (H2S) will build up after a few hours ... flushing an anoxic brew back into the tank might kill something!

At the minimum, you need to open the canister for some air, better yet, take the media out & place it in a tub of tank water (or in the tank) to keep your bugs alive.

One suggestion, instead of spending $$ on battery pump, why not get a power box .... these are the battery powered booster packs for your car. The bigger ones has a build in inverter that will power ac equipment. Get one at a hardware place or auto supply store. Here, Canada Tire sells one that will power a small fridge, and ones that comes with solar panel chargers (set it up in the sun & you can run a TV all day - great for camping :) ). A small one that should power your filter for hours can be had for $100 or so.

A cheaper alternative, if you have a spare car battery or 2, get an inverter & you have an instant power-box (although without any electronic controls or charging capability).

As I said, I'm not concerned about the filters. I already know how to take care of them.

My concern is with the oxygen. A $100 power box for each of the tanks is not feasible at this time. Like I said, I need to keep this as cheap as possible. I just forked out $$$$ for my new light strip and other components that I needed for the plants in addition to the new living room furnature. I'm looking at $40 max to cover all three tanks. That's why I asked how many air pumps I would need for the 150 gal tank. I know that the other options require more funding that we do not have at this time. In about a week we will but I can't tell the electric company to come back in a week to do service.

You could try a bait shop for a battery air pump. With 3 reef tanks I have a Husky portable ac/dc power system. It can jump a car and has a built in 400 watt ac inverter. I bought it during my last power outage and ran 3 filter pumps for several hours with out charging it first. When it ran down I connected it to a car battery, the power came back on after 8 hours.

With fresh water I have no problem with no power unless the tank is over stocked or the outage is long term, 12 hours or more.

If you really want to keep your fish alive, fill up your car's gas tank, get a tansformer thingy, hook it up to your car's plug/cigarete lighter or car battery, then get a long wire and make it go into your car...
Also, Come up with a way to keep your refrigerators cold, like make some ice or go to the store and buy giant ice packs.

then get a long wire and make it go into your car...
lol My car is about 300 feet from the apt. That's one LONG wire. :) Thanks for the suggestion though.

Also, Come up with a way to keep your refrigerators cold, like make some ice or go to the store and buy giant ice packs.
I never even thought about the fridge. Thanks for the reminder!

If they stay within the 3 hours you should be fine. I am with you a few battery powered air pumps should keep the water aerated enough for everyone to be just fine. I had a heater go the other day and it was 24 hours before the tank reached room temp so they do not cool off that fast.

If you do not open the fridge you are good for 24 hours before things start to go bad.

The other day our power went out for two hours then was on for 45 minutes then went off for another 2 hours and every fish was fine afterwards. Even the ones I had JUST bought and introduced into the tank when the power went out the first time. The snails loved it...lol.

I too was wishing I had bought those battery powered air pumps when I had that little voice say so....I said the same thing to myself...we havent had a power outage in a really long time. DOH!

It was actually about 3 1/2 hours. We could only get our hands on 2 air pumps so we put those on the 150 since it is so far away. We watched the other two tanks and when the fish started gasping in the 55 I used a syringe and filled it with air and kept pushing the air into the tank. James and I both did it for a good 20 minutes with two syringers.

The tank temp dropped pretty quick. It was a nice 80 degrees before power failure. By the time it was turned back on it had dropped to the upper 60s. Next time I think we will use the covers. Considering it was 40 degrees outside, our apt cooled down rather quickly and so did the tanks.

They are doing fine now. In need of a water change, but good. :) I'm actually surprised that the temp change did not send them into shock since it was such a quick drop.

Buy a few airstones?

Swish the water around every now and then to break the surface tension.
That should allow the o2 to enter the tank.

The airstones should help though.

I mean fish are in transport for longer than that and i think they just use airstones.

Back
Top Bottom