Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tell me everything you can about them habitat, likes and dislikes.

Pros:
Beautiful fish
Do not get as big as regular jacks
Relatively peaceful in a community setting

Con:
Not hardy at all
Extremely hard to raise past the 3-4" mark
Will seem healthy and happy and then will just die
Weaker immune systems lead to early death

I have tried with these guys on several occasions but always with the same outcome. Many folks here at AA have experienced the same, so most of us don't bother anymore.

Ya I'm having the same problem I have has two so far the first lasted about 4 to 5 months then the second only lasted about 3 weeks :( I think they are a beautiful fish but not having any luck. Even with my tank stats at what they thrive in. I'm ok with just giving up on them but my fiancé loves them and I'm trying to get her into the hobby. Thanks a lot for your repost

Ya I'm having the same problem I have has two so far the first lasted about 4 to 5 months then the second only lasted about 3 weeks :( I think they are a beautiful fish but not having any luck. Even with my tank stats at what they thrive in. I'm ok with just giving up on them but my fiancé loves them and I'm trying to get her into the hobby. Thanks a lot for your repost

I would suggest trying to find blue gene Dempsey if she wants them. They are pretty and hardy.

I do not agree with the statement that all have weak immune systems, it purely depends on the genetic line that the person is breeding, and they are not that hard to keep happy If you give them what they need!

So what is the difference about the blue gene Dempsey

Blue genes are the offspring of an electric blue and regular jack, therefore they carry the electric blue gene which increases the chance of a percentage of a spawn will be electric blue.

I do not agree with the statement that all have weak immune systems, it purely depends on the genetic line that the person is breeding, and they are not that hard to keep happy If you give them what they need!

True there are plenty of people that have large electric blue jacks but IMO they lucked out. Every one I have kept looked and acted totally happy but at some point (usually around the 3.5-4" mark) they got lethargic and slowly passed. I have kept 6 so far from 4 different sources.

I was thinking of havin one in a 55 ish gallon tank with a larger place and maybe another bidding feeder o some sort but I really don't want to buy several and wait for them to die

Back
Top Bottom