Electric Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ztigris

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one that I'm not convinced is a boy yet.
My 55 gallon has 4 caves and lots of plants. Can I put ome more in there and keep both if they wind up being two males? Or should I just let my little one be one his/her own?

The issue with rams is you can have more when they are young but as they pair and age they tend to get more aggressive. Age I've seen seems to be the biggest factor. I have a very heavily planted 220g and started with 11 rams. Over the past year I've slowly been removing pairs and have settled on only keeping 2 pairs in that size tank. So it's a matter of personal choice but were it me I'd leave well enough alone and wait for the little one to mature.

Thought I would update. She is doing really good once I found foods she likes. Brine shrimp, blood worms and peas make her happy. Freeze dried, flakes and pellets are a no go.
She finally laid claim to the corys cave last night. I was hoping she'd pick one of the other two. But this one is more sheltered and in middle of the tank and sand bed. So it's okay with me if not the pandas.
I'm fairly certain she's a girl. Looked at the other electric blues a two lfs. Her top fin spines are all the same length whereas the boys her size at the lfs are already very certainly longer on the second or third.
But, she flashes once in a while. Maybe once in a two hour period. One of my cherry barb's does the same thing. There are absolutely no external signs of any parasite. The tank finished an extra long treatmemt for ich about a month ago. I went over the time frame because I'm overly cautious. Could that be caused by internal parasites or constipation? Peas were just added to the diet rotation last night. Fishes were quite happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom