Electric water changer than can lift water one story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kazin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking to install several tanks in my cellar/basement. I don't have drainage in this cellar. For water changes, I was wondering if anyone knows of products or DIY setup that could reliably carry the water up one flight of stairs.

Preferably looking for an electric water changer that can lift up the water a flight of stairs.

Thanks!

Look at a sump pump. I had two in a basement that lifted about 10 feet

My fish room is in basement with no gravity drain..
I pump all my water from waterchanges out a window..
I use a container to pour my buckets into [old reef lake wet / dry sump] with a mag drive 18 in it..Smaller may work with the height but may take longer to pump out...
Been doing this for 4-5 years now with out much problem...

I'd look into a sump pump and a 55 gallon barrel. They're designed for that anyways. Anything else you'd need to install check valves/backflow prevention.

Backflow is a good point. Mine had those. Be aware of water hammer.

Ok thank you for the advice. I looked into it. For a mag 18 pump, they run about $180. That's a bit expensive. I really wouldn't mind pumping very slowly uphill if it's just for water changes. Is there a weaker pump that would do it? For example, most weaker pumps say there is an auto shut off at 13' of water lift. Couldn't a weaker pump trickle the water out?

You don't want a weaker pump. If you need 12' of lift get something that can handle 20'. Something else to consider is th water left in the hose when the pump shuts off. If I were you I'd get a 20 gal brute barrel and a submersible pool pump, put a ball valve and check valve in the hose right after the pump. You can drain water into barrel and pump out. Or you could get a very strong pond pump, hook it up the same and put that right in the tank. You kill the power, water shuts check valve, you close ball valve, roll up hose and release remaining water in sink.

Another option. What I would do.. have a plumber come set up a slop/laundry sink down there. You'll appreciate having hot/cold water for cleaning and filling. You'll also have a far simpler method of draining. If you're looking to get serious with tanks it's the only way;) I did it! Not sure if you're married or living with someone but they'll get sick of you cleaning filters in the kitchen sink realllllll fast!

Back
Top Bottom