Electrical ISSUES!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basefrog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,
I just recently bought some strip LED lights and they came with a driver. However they did not some with and adapter to plug into the mains!

I managed to find one and wired it all up and they did not work. I switched the wires round and still no results.

Please if there are any electrical whizzes out there I NEED YOUR HELP! Haha.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• SS101436.jpg
    SS101436.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 47
  • SS101437.jpg
    SS101437.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 55
  • SS101440.jpg
    SS101440.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 57
Everything that came with the LEDs (left)

Everything that didn't (right)

Attachments

• SS101441.jpg
    SS101441.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 50
  • SS101442.jpg
    SS101442.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 48
Basefrog said:
Everything that came with the LEDs (left)

Everything that didn't (right)

It looks to me like those are both outputs on the piece that came with the LEDs. I would think there is an input elsewhere

The white piece label PRI (primary) should be your feed from the wall if I'm not mistaken. It is looking for a 220v input. The SEC (secondary), which is bad terminology since it is not a sec input, is actually a 12v DC output (from the looks of it).

Basically the white box is converting your AC to DC. At least, it should. I'm still confused where the LED strip actually hooks up. Is it somewhere that I can't see in the picture?

If so you should have your hot (brown or black) hooked up to the L terminal. The N terminal should have your blue or white wire hooked up. Looks like there is no place for a ground, which I don't like either.

Your leds should be hooked up to the + and - outputs.

I could be completely wrong and it could be an AC or DC powered driver. In that case you should be able to hook up a 12V 1A transformer (black thing in your picture) to the + and - connections or a suicide cord to your AC inputs.

After looking at the pictures I think this is right:

You should have your hot (brown or black) hooked up to the L terminal on the PRI connector. The N terminal should have your blue or white wire hooked up. Looks like there is no place for a ground, which I don't like either.

Your leds should be hooked up to the + and - outputs (SEC).

Basically it converts your 220VAC line to 12VDC. The PRI connections are from your wall outlet. The SEC connections should go to your LEDs. If you hooked up the power supply to the outputs you may have damaged the driver.

:facepalm: omg omg omg omg!! forget this thread!! I have been wiring up a transformer to a transformer! :facepalm:

Sorry guys!

thanks for your help though =D

So the PRI was the feed from your wall and the SEC was out to the leds?

Good, glad it is working for you! Some pretty bad instructions from the looks of it.

Back
Top Bottom