Eleocharis - Dwarf Hairgrass - Did I screw up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wyoredman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Aquatic plant beginner here!

I purchased my first bunch of Eleocharis acicularis today. It came planted in a fiber-like material and a plastic web pot.

When i got it home, I removed the plastic pot and tried to sepperate the roots from the fiberous potting material. It seemed like I was tearing the roots, so I stoped trying to remove the stuff. I simply washed it then planted the whole bunch, fiberous potting material and all into my tank.

My substrate is 2" fine gravel topped with 1" of medium size gravel.

Do I need to pull the Eleocharis up and re-plant it after removing the fiberous potting stuff, or can I just leave it and let it grow?

I have 2 24" Floromax 17W Aqueaon bulbs for lighting and add API root tabs every few weeks. I am curently adding Flourish Excell for carbon. I have some other plants (don't know what they are) that seem to be doing fine. I removed the fiberous stuff from them when they were planted.

The Eleocharis just wouldn't come free from the stuff!

Hello wyoredman

Dwarf hair grass is a moderate/hard plant to care for although it looks so easy!!

First of all for it to thrive it needs very good lighting. High medium to high light levels are required. Your lighting sounds stock?? How deep is your tank??

Second of all seachem excel is a carbon source. It should be dosed daily for its full affect. This will help your dwarf hairgrass but my understanding is that it does better with pressurised co2.

Thirdly DHG requires pretty good fertilisation. Your substrate is practically useless at providing the plant with nutrients. Your root tabs will become very important. It may be beneficial to make your own tabs. Not only cheaper but they are much much better. Theres a thread on the forum about it. You will probably need a much better regimen of ferts to add to your water column. Dry ferts in the form of PPS pro method are a good option. If your in the US then greenleafaquariums.com is a good source.

Now to answer your questions. The rock wool is better removed but it wont do any harm. DHG will spread and carpet better when given a helping hand. Its much better to separate it and plant spaced out. Dont worry too much about root damage.

DHG can survive in a low tech setup but it certainly wont thrive.

In a high tech tank it spreads like wildfire. This is my DHG carpet...
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402322408.140256.jpg

Hope this has helped somewhat

Thank you.

Yes, my lighting is semi stock. The SeaClear acrylic tank came with 1 24" fixture. I have since added a second. I am using the "Tube for plants" that was available at my LPS. They are 17W Aqueon brand Floromax? My tank is 16" deep with 3 1/2 " of substarte, so about 13" to top of gravel.

I planted the DHG in one large clump, because I couldn't get it separated from the rock wool (thanks for giving me the actual name of that stuff).

I am not looking for a completely covered bottom, so maybe I can keep the DHG alive with root tabs?

You answered my main concern, though. The rock wool won't hurt anything! thanks.

I'm not great on the lighting but I think you'd be at low light with t8 fixtures. So I wouldn't expect too much from the DHG

I'm not great on the lighting but I think you'd be at low light with t8 fixtures. So I wouldn't expect too much from the DHG

I agree with this assessment. I would also add that this is one of those plants that really should be done with proper CO2 rather than Excel.

Well, It looks like I will have a nice clump of DHG in my tank! I won't expect it to grow much, just hope I can keep it green! Thanks everyone! It only cost me $2, so I am not out much!

Back
Top Bottom