Elephant nose knifefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieB

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone knows about elephant nose knifefish and whether they can be found in any stores in australia or off the internet?
They seem quite hard to find.

Also I'm guessing they have the same electrical organs and can't be kept with large Black Ghost Knifefishes, is this right?

I have NEVER seen any "elephant nose" knifefish in Sydney in my 5 years of fishkeeping.
(That's not to say you cannot order them)

The regular elephant nose, aswell as the regular ghost knife are both fairly common. And I know of several stores in Sydney that stock them on a weekly basis

I have NEVER seen any "elephant nose" knifefish in Sydney in my 5 years of fishkeeping.
(That's not to say you cannot order them)

The regular elephant nose, aswell as the regular ghost knife are both fairly common. And I know of several stores in Sydney that stock them on a weekly basis

Oh ok, yeah i think they are quite rare by the sounds of it :(
By the way i'm not getting the Black ghost knife and the elephant nose fish mixed up :lol: I have a 30ish cm black ghost knife and ive always wanted to keep discus in an amazon biotope, but my BGK is way too active and snappy for discus i think..... and by the looks of the elephant nose knifefish i'm guessing it is more placid and just sucks worms etc out of the substrate lol.

this is another post with a few good pics i have just found on the Elephant nose knifefish;

Elephant-nose knifefish--Sternarchorhynchus oxyrhynchus

kinda looks like a BGK but a bit longer body, and of course the extended mouth...

I want one sooooo bad lol

Back
Top Bottom