Emerald Crab Help??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mav.23

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so I have a fish and invert only tank, no live rock or coral. I have an occelaris clown, a blue yellowtail damselfish, a convict blenny/engineer goby, bumblebee and cerith snails, along with with a Valentini puffer. :fish2: I had an amazing emerald crab before he died (his name was Oz, because of the Wizard of Oz and him being an emerald crab. sorry off topic) so, this new emerald arrives because I loved the first so much. This crab is green and definitely is an emerald crab, but he is massive! He could probably catch everything in my tank if he/she wanted to. I'm especially worried about my convict blenny because she sleeps in her tunnels and is very low-laying. I can't take the emerald back to the store, and I have no friends who could take him. I'm not going to kill him because I stupidly am already attached to him, but I am very concerned. Oz was about an inch, and this one is maybe twoish. Does anybody have any ideas of what I should do? Thanks!

Maybe a better question is there any way to keep this crab tame? Or docile it out by making it fat and lazy?

Crabs are opportunistic eaters. If they find something they like and can get they will.
With that said, an emerald crab WILL NOT be able to catch any healthy fish, even if ‘sleeping’. This is a common myth that gains traction anytime someone gets attached to a fish and is killed by their poor husbandry catches a member of their clean up crew doing its job ‘in the act’.

Crabs are opportunistic eaters. If they find something they like and can get they will.
With that said, an emerald crab WILL NOT be able to catch any healthy fish, even if ‘sleeping’. This is a common myth that gains traction anytime someone gets attached to a fish and is killed by their poor husbandry catches a member of their clean up crew doing its job ‘in the act’.

Thank you so much! I found out why this one looks different. My first was a female, this one is male. Thank you for your reply, I feel better about getting him now.

I agree with Hank. The mithrax crab is pretty slow and a healthy fish would have a hard time getting caught. I had a black sailfin blenny and he would knock the heck out of my crab which by the way was white. Not all mithrax are green. they can be white to green to black. I sure you will be ok. you will be ok. Another side note are sure the other crab died. The molt looks like the real thing.

I agree with Hank. The mithrax crab is pretty slow and a healthy fish would have a hard time getting caught. I had a black sailfin blenny and he would knock the heck out of my crab which by the way was white. Not all mithrax are green. they can be white to green to black. I sure you will be ok. you will be ok. Another side note are sure the other crab died. The molt looks like the real thing.

thanks for the reply! And I do not know for sure, but he hasn't turned up in several weeks so I am assuming he died during a molt.

Back
Top Bottom