Emergency! Cracked Stand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
My stand is cracked in one of the corners and I need to know what I should do as soon as possible. I do not want 30 gallons of water and glass all over the floor of my apartment. Here is a pic of the crack!

Attachments

• crack_196.jpg
    crack_196.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 118
is the crack at the bottom of the stand? from the picture it doesnt look like the crack is effecting the structural supports. the skirting around the bottom is more than likley just for apperance not structual. either way check if the section that is cracked is effecting the stand! and if you could post a photo ot the entire stand if your not sure, than we could help you out with making the choice if its structual or not. good luck

It's impossible for THAT cracked part to bear weight. A weight bearing stud will have material directly on top of it, thereby bearing the weight. From those pics, the only cracked portion I notice is just the trim.

Picture 005 further justifies this since the load bearing material is the vertical pieces, not the trim on the top or bottom. They just add that material so you don't notice joints, and so it makes it look "beefier". If you're concerned about it still, contact your manufacturer and request that they look at your pictures.

I suspect that the particle board warped a bit from moisture or heat, and the joint widened. Particle board is notorious for this... and is another reason why I won't buy it. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you can send other pics with different angles of the close-up "crack"

EDIT: Also, if you take a close look at the first picture, you will notice that the molding wraps around the bottom corner. They do this so that it appears "seamless" when looking at it from the top and front. All they have to do is cut the material in a "V" shape, so that when the material wraps around, the front laminate wood grain looking piece remains intact, making it look like a bent piece of hardwood. Looking at this more closely leads me to further believe that you're still in fine shape. :D

yeah, you will have no worries :D , i wouldnt worry to much. you might want to look into sealing the inside of the stand to pevent water damage like swelling for which particle board is known for.

I wouldnt worry about that much, may want to treat the back of your stand, looks like partical board and a sponge to water and moister,

Back
Top Bottom