Emergency! Fish upside down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My molly is upside down. I don’t know if he has ammonia poisoning or swim bladder. It started out as clamped fins and he was in a u shape at the bottom of the tank for a day. Then he started swimming better and around the tank. Two days later he started swimming vertical and is now upside down. I have him in an isolation tank and am continuing to do water changes to lower the ammonia, but he seems to be getting worse. (Ammonia started at 8 and is now around 3 ppm)

That is still a toxic level of ammonia. Do water changes to get it below 0.5ppm, preferably 0.25ppm. A large water change (match temperature and use dechlorinator) is better than living in poison. If you change 50 percent of your water, you will be down to 1.5ppm. Again, you are at 0.75ppm, and so on. Your fish may have died already since you posted this a couple of days ago. Read the articles on cycling on this site. The most important thing you need to do is get your ammonia down now.

Back
Top Bottom