EMERGENCY!! gourami attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today my gourami attacked my platy leaving a small gash in his head I can't tell if its just scale damage or worse. The only extra tank I have is a 15 gallon that my betta was in but I took him out and put the gourami in it. The betta is in a tupple ware bowl floating in the in the community tank. He's stressing out and flaring so I don't want him there any longer then I need. Would it be alright if I put him in a glass vase for the night until I can return the gourami tomorrow? I don't even know if my lfs is open since its a holiday. Also how should I treat the platys wound? I have melafix that I added to the tank in case any other fish were injured. Help wanted!!

The betta will be fine in a vase or even a cup for a couple days if need be, think of the little cup they all live in at pet stores. As for the platy adding the melafix was probably a good idea, only time and very clean water will tell if its injurys will heal. Good luck.

I agree with ladywang, the betta can be in there for a day or two until you get the gourami returned. As for your platy, I recommend melafix along with every-other-day water changes.

Alright you guys, thanks for the quick replies! I figured he'd be fine in the vase, but I just want some other input. Even after the attack the gourami cornered the platy and would peck at the wound, I couldn't belive it

Yeah, sadly some gouramis are just buttheads:(

I am planning on getting a dwarf gourami, but I am putting it with fish that are bigger and won't be bullied around too easily. So, if the gourami starts attacking them, he will quickly learn his lesson;)

Wiggles24 said:
Couldn't u just put the beta in the community tank for a few days?

Not unless he wants more bashed headed Platys

Oh man, you should see my betta. It attacks everything that comes in the tank. It ate a neon tetra, ate 3 snails' antennas, and attacks the gravel vacuum!

Yeah I think my betta would be too aggressive for the community, I dont want to chance it lol. I had a gold gourami that was sold as a honey, next time I think I'll just get a dwarf to avoid confusion, I had one before but it died of dwarf gourami disease :( but if my lfs is open tomorrow, its going back, I don't need someone terrorizing everyone in the tank. As for the platy it's swimming about just fine but I'm going to keep an eye on him. Now I know who killed one of my shrimp I found this morning, it had been in the tank for almost 9 months without getting picked at : / oh well

Well last night my platys injuries must of got the best of her. I found her floating.this morning. I tested the water and amm. 0.25 nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. All my other fish seem to be doing fine

My tank is the opposite. I am thinking of giving away 2 larger Gold Gourami's because my Mollies pick on them. Although last night I witnessed something very weird. I have a black and platinum molly who are the main aggressors towards the GG's. During the picking, one of the GG's would separate the black molly from picking on the the other GG by getting in between the two and staying there. Like it was trying to stick up for it. It was the weirdest but coolest thing I have ever seen them do. But my GG's are big. I am surprised they let themselves get picked on. But I am acclimating a group of mollies to brackish and have all my other tanks filled up.

bud29 said:
Yeah, sadly some gouramis are just buttheads:(

I am planning on getting a dwarf gourami, but I am putting it with fish that are bigger and won't be bullied around too easily. So, if the gourami starts attacking them, he will quickly learn his lesson;)

I thought dg were peaceful fish mines live with 2 fancy guppies 2 Cory cats 4 shrimp and a snail

Idk but we rehomed him to my tank and he gets along fine with my fish.

Back
Top Bottom