EMERGENCY!!!! water is opaque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help!

I have been struggling with cloudy water for a couple months and now it is green! I change the water once a week but the problem keeps coming back and it gets worse each time. I tried some water clarifiers with no luck. I changed the floss pad in my canister filter and that didn't seem to help. I vacuumed my sand substrate and that didn't do it. Not sure what else to do. Any advice???:(

95003-albums14114-picture68198.jpg

How many fish have you lost? Could they be stuck in there somewhere? Testing water? ?
What's the light? t5? How long does it stay on daily?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Youch, green water.

My personal choice of combating green water is a UV sterilizer. You can buy an Aquatop uv sterilizer for $20 - $30

Your other best choice is a tank black out. Shield the tank from any and all light for at least 3 days. This includes ambient lighting, tank light, anything. It has to be 100% pitch black.

Youch, green water.

My personal choice of combating green water is a UV sterilizer. You can buy an Aquatop uv sterilizer for $20 - $30

Your other best choice is a tank black out. Shield the tank from any and all light for at least 3 days. This includes ambient lighting, tank light, anything. It has to be 100% pitch black.

More white that green meb, can barely see the intake.. it's way white up top..

More white that green meb, can barely see the intake.. it's way white up top..

Are you sure? I see an obscene amount of green in that water. Also, when green water is at low concentrations it will appear milky white like a bacterial bloom. My salt water tank looked like it had a perpetual bacterial bloom going on until it got out of control and showed itself as green water.

I just took some readings:

PH = 8.4 - 8.8?
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 5.0 ppm

Looks like green water to me. UV will take care of it. Always keeps up on the water changes after that.

Ditto on the UV to clear that up. Be sure to increase the aeration during and after the treatment. The green water is an algae bloom, the strong UV will kill the algae. Decaying algae can reduce the O2 in the water, thus the need for extra aeration.

Man that white water really cleared up;) nice work!!

Wow, what a difference! I have not had nearly as much stuff growing on my tank since putting in my UV. Amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom