Emersed Planter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkeating8

Aquarium Advice Addict
What's up, AA!

I thought I would show my emersed plant setup so people could see how simple it is to grow nice plants for either storage, to sell, trade, and so on.

This is an 8 by 4 Tupperware container that I just filled up with some organic potting soil, about 2 inches worth. To add nutrients, I added 5mls each of both my micro and macro EI mixes. It had yielded great results just under a halogen bulb. A very yellow one, I might add. When doing an emersed setup like this, don't worry much about the color temperature of the light. The plants will use whatever they can get. I covered loosely with seran wrap and drop water on it every couple days or so.

Currently, I have:

Elatine Triandra
Utricularia Graminolfolia
Alternanthera Reineckii (sp?)
Pogostemon Helferi
Hydrocotyle sp. Japan

All these species grow very well emersed and convert nicely. These are all cuttings from my high tech tank. The UG grows especially fast, doubling in mass in about a week. Elatine Triandra is considerable smaller in it's emersed form compared to it's submersed form. They all grow nicely and can be used for whatever. This cost me nothing and is very interesting and beneficial. Just though I would share. These photos are two weeks of growth. I would like to take this on a bigger scale so I can grow some stem plants because the one I already have is growing too tall. This will likely be transferred to a 2.5 gallon tank with a shoplight. But for now, cost free and a very easy project. If I wasn't planning a new reef, I would go bigger.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/79195-albums13627.html

Thanks for sharing, dude. I've got a couple going right now as well. I have to say, my growth has been slow, though. Especially the UG. :(

Really? I took a couple of sprigs that Brian sent me and I just layed me down. They spout out roots from the trimmed blades and start shooting runners all over. Most are too little to see. It took about a week for it to get going, though. I hope your luck picks up.

Back
Top Bottom