Emperor 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fozzy225

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm about 4 months old with my reef tank.first time ever doing saltwater.things seem to be going well.my question is what is the purpose of the bio wheels and do I need them?And how often should I change cartridge in the filter?

45gallon tank
45pounds of rock
40 pounds of sand crushed coral mixed equal parts
And I have a prizm skimmer.

Fozzy225 said:
I'm about 4 months old with my reef tank.first time ever doing saltwater.things seem to be going well.my question is what is the purpose of the bio wheels and do I need them?And how often should I change cartridge in the filter?

45gallon tank
45pounds of rock
40 pounds of sand crushed coral mixed equal parts
And I have a prizm skimmer.

What's a prizm skimmer? I'm jus learning lol

I have a similar setup and I took my biowheels off when I put fish in the tank. I was using it to polish the water and help with the sediment from my sand. IMO, with the 45 lbs of lr and a decent skimmer you are good taking the hob filtration off since you have the lr to act as a biological filter. I know there are some ppl here with differing views, but the biowheels are going to turn into a nitrate factory for your reef and I would just take it off.

I have the same filter and I think that unless you have a GREAt CUC, you need some sort of mechanical filter. The point of the bio wheels are to host bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrates. I don't think it can because a nitrate factory because no food should get on them or any other particles.

Back
Top Bottom