Emperor Aquatics Smart UV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WMC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, first time poster here. I have just ordered a Fluval XF5 canister filter and a 25 Watt (130 Gallon) Emperor Aquatics Smart UV. I planned on hooking up the UV to the outlet side of the filter. The XF5 has a flow rate of 525gph at the outlet side and the UV light is rated for 472gph max. Should I reduce the flow to the UV or will this be fine.
I have a 90gal fish only lightly stocked with around 100 lbs. of live rock and a 20 gal wet/dry sump. I will install a Super Reef Octopus XP1000 Space Saver SRO XP1000SSS in sump skimmer when I hook up the filter and UV light.
Thanks

To me if you are using uv, it should be at the flow that kills everything in the water.. I plumbed in a 9w on the return of my rena xp4 by adding a tee on my return line at both the inlet and outlet of my uv and put a ball valve between them on the return line.. I put a flow meter with my uv as well. This way I can shut off the ball valve slightly to adjust the flow through the uv.. I have the flow set to about 60 gpm on my 9w..

For salt setups you may not want to kill every little thing in the water because of the coral and what not.. Someone with salt setups can full you in on that.. But the same idea still works to plumb it in.

Thanks, I am installing the UV on the return side of the filter to the tank. I was concerned about too much flow through the UV, but I think it will be okay. The Fluval xf5 has a flow of 525gph at the return and I see that the UV is rated for 472/788gph for Algae & Bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom