Empty 15g, what would you do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishontheRock

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning a new tank. It's no where near my first but I'm trying to get ideas.

It's a 15g with a 50g rated HOB filter heater and diy co2 reactor. Lights are still in the works but I plan on planting quite heavily but beyond that have no plans.

So, here is my question. What would you do?

I'm looking for everything from stocking, plant selection, potential cool biotopes, low tech or high tech. Anything goes so long ad there are plants involved!

christine2012 said:
Pea puffers! Perfect tank size and the love living with plants :)

I have considered them! So darned cute.

But I haven't seen any around here et the shops and shipping here is risky so I tend to do it only with really hardy fish. I'll have to see if my lfs would order them in for me, they get better shipping rates for the quick shipping than I do.

I also worry that they will mistakenly send me the brackish kind and I can't set up a salt tank right now!

FishontheRock said:
I have considered them! So darned cute.

But I haven't seen any around here et the shops and shipping here is risky so I tend to do it only with really hardy fish. I'll have to see if my lfs would order them in for me, they get better shipping rates for the quick shipping than I do.

I also worry that they will mistakenly send me the brackish kind and I can't set up a salt tank right now!

Yes I know nimo had that issue. Its crazy to me how a professional can mix that up but my far from expert experience pointed it out almost instantly. If you really really trust your lfs that's a good option. I would check aquabid as well!I was going to get my son some but I couldn't justify almost $40 shipping! They are rare I guess. We ended up with a betta :)

But boy those are some super cute fishies!

Athaocity said:
a amazon biotope. with lots of amazon swords and vallisneria.

That sounds intriguing. Would amazon swords get too big for this tank I wonder? What'd aren't amazon biotopes generally blackwater?

What about killifish? Not interested in annuals but there are lots of longer lived varieties. Any thoughts?

Yes! Killifish would do great in your tank. Some are really pretty. I'm interested in getting some for my 10g.

Alligator gar..............................jk

I would do either killifish, a shrimp tank or fancy guppies!

Alligator gar..............................jk

I would do either killifish, a shrimp tank or fancy guppies!

Alligator gar...hmm now that would neat:ROFLMAO:

Yep i would definitly breed red cherry shrimp

I have a Cherry shrimp/Endler tank already. So I'm covered on the shrimp/guppy front.

My only experience with killies were some golden panchax I had some years ago. They were little pigs but really pretty and would eat a cherry shrimp whole. They swallowed a school of 12 neon tetras in about 24hrs on me before I realized just how big their mouths were.

Any species suggestions on the killi front? As I said, no annuals please that's just too much work.

Another thought...what about an ember tetra/corydoras hastatus/habrosus pair? I think the red of the embers would be set off of the green of a well grown tank. I've never had any, however, so I know nothing about them.

FishontheRock said:
Yes SHE does! Sorry I know the name is kind of asexual. And I love my RCS but seems like a waste of a new tank to do exactly the same thing!

Oh my god sorry! Lol

Oh my god sorry! Lol

No worries! It just caught me off guard is all.

What about leaving off the heater and going with a school of white cloud mountain minnows? Are there any cool water bottom dwelling fish that could go with them?

Samzter said:
Oh my god sorry! Lol

Samtzer.... See what I mean when I say "lazy"? I don't even read anymore :) ......

OP.... I like the amazon theme.....

OP.... I like the amazon theme.....

Me too. My only problem is that its like pulling teeth to get decent driftwood around here. Most of the pieces I've seen for sale are mean for big tanks. Tried buying some online but it was coming from the US and kept getting stopped by customs!

Hmm. Where do you live? I live 200 meters in front of a freshwater lake, so it's quite easy for me to get things ;)

Back
Top Bottom