Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilla4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
"Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants" by Peter Hiscock.

Wish I had this when I started plants! I find it a lot easier to digest than Walstad's book. I had a problem making use of her info, I don't know if it was too technical, or wandered a bit or what. But then my mind wanders a lot and frequently, and I'm impatient, so a lot of times my eyes are skimming over words and I'm not comprehending them. Either I'm going too fast, or my mind is on something else... Sometimes I have to read a paragraph or small section 3 or 4 times before it actually occurs to me what it's saying. Grr. But I digress...

I noticed betowess seemed to like it a lot. Anyone else read it and have an opinion?

I agree, Hiscock's book is a great read for beginners and experienced planted tank keepers alike. The Walstad book is great too, but it is very much written like a college text book, going deep into the science of things.
Both are good books, but Hiscock's is written in a friendly, flowing manner. I wouldn't recommend the Walstad book to a beginner, due to its' complexity, as well as price. Its a book that true plant geeks would enjoy.

The Baench Aquarium Atlas is another must have with 100 plants and if memory serves me correctly, over 600 fresh water species represented. Its comprehensive, if a bit dated in look having first been published in the '80s.

Back
Top Bottom