Enough light for dwarf hair grass ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuart Swindell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi fellow fish addicts, my aquarium is 20 gallon long, it's the light is 6 cm from the water and the water is 32 cm from top to bottom where my dwarf hair grass are, so 38 cm in total between the light and the dwarf hair grass.

So here goes my question, I have a finnex fugeray planted + (not the 24/7) and it says it give around 22 watts but me looking at the tank it feels like it's enough can I get more info on this ?
Thanks
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1455972158.424243.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have had the same fixture (Finnex Planted+) on my 20g long for about a year and a half and have had great results with it. I have run it solo for the most part and at times have paired it up with either a Finnex FugeRay, a Finnex 24/7, or a pair of 26w 6500k CFLs.
You will have better success with some form of carbon whether it be a liquid product (Seachem Excel, API CO2 Booster, Glutaraldehyde/Metricide 14) or DIY CO2 (yeast or citric acid based) or pressurized CO2. I did yeast based DIY CO2 for a year and it helped the plants I was growing under the Finnex FugeRay.
LEDs are typically measured in the amount of PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) at a given distance rather than wattage (more popular with T-8 and T-10 fluorescent tubes). PAR charts for given fixtures can be found on the web. At 12" (which should be the approximate distance from fixture to substrate for your tank) the FugeRay produces about 45 PAR, the Planted+ produces 61 PAR, and the 24/7 a bit more than the Planted+ (not exactly sure what the value is).
I've not grown hair grass or dwarf hair grass but that is on the bucket list.

Thanks for taking your time to answer and thanks for the useful information, so what you are saying is that there's enough par rating to grow hair grass ?
Thanks

Thanks for taking your time to answer and thanks for the useful information, so what you are saying is that there's enough par rating to grow hair grass ?
Thanks

I Googled "hair grass PAR" and one of the links pointed be back to AA with a thread that has a 29g and a planted+:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/best-carpet-plants-337872.html
Some helpful info in here. Hope it answers your question.

Back
Top Bottom