Enough surface disturbance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeekLikeThat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be switching over from a 36 bow front to a standard 55. I have a Fluval 306 that will move. Going to get an AC70 to supplement.

Do you guys think the AC70 will provide enough surface disturbance if I don't aim the 306 at the top? There will be an air stone that runs when the lights are out.

I was considering a spray bar for the 306 along the back wall aimed towards the surface, but I am concerned the honey gouarmis and the angel will not like that much flow across the top of the tank.

Tank Filtration

I am going to be switching over from a 36 bow front to a standard 55. I have a Fluval 306 that will move. Going to get an AC70 to supplement.

Do you guys think the AC70 will provide enough surface disturbance if I don't aim the 306 at the top? There will be an air stone that runs when the lights are out.

I was considering a spray bar for the 306 along the back wall aimed towards the surface, but I am concerned the honey gouarmis and the angel will not like that much flow across the top of the tank.

Hello Geek...

A 55 gallon tanks needs a filter system with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons, about 200. The Fluval 306 is rated at 70 gallons per hour and the Hagen AC70 is rated at 300. This is plenty of filtration and would provide good aeration. Unless you like the tiny bubble effect, the air stone isn't needed.

Just one reporter's opinion, though. I keep several 55 gallons tanks and don't have near as much filtration in them as you're planning. But, I'm a fan of large, frequent water changes, so my tanks do fine with minimal filter equipment.

B

Thanks B.

Trying to plan all my plumbing out since I want to put in PVC for the intake and return. Think I'll go with the standard return, but set it up in a way it wouldn't be hard to switch it to a spray bar if I decided to.

Back
Top Bottom