Epson salt VS aquarium salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TidBitz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have read and heard many debates on these two salts for a planted tank and wanted to see if I could get some of your thoughts!!!!

They are two totally different things used for two totally different purposes.

You really wouldn't want aquarium salt in a planted tank. And I believe (not 100%) that Epsom salt is mgso4 which is a dry feet in planted tanks

You really wouldn't want aquarium salt in a planted tank. And I believe (not 100%) that Epsom salt is mgso4 which is a dry feet in planted tanks

Epsom salt is indeed MgSO4 which is magnesium. It rarely has to be added to a planted tank as most tap water has adequate amounts in it. I believe if I remember my chemistry right that aquarium salt is NaCl which is sodium chloride and you don't want sodium in a planted tank.

Epsom salt is indeed MgSO4 which is magnesium. It rarely has to be added to a planted tank as most tap water has adequate amounts in it. I believe if I remember my chemistry right that aquarium salt is NaCl which is sodium chloride and you don't want sodium in a planted tank.

You are correct. Aquarium salt is just NaCI, which is the same thing as table salt, actually.

Thank you for your input I do not add Epson salt but have had people tell me it helps with the health of your fish and plants, seeing as I'd rather know for sure I'm not about to add something that is questionable. In my opinion aquarium salt is over rated.

Aquarium salt is a good thing to have on hand for certain issues that may pop up but overrated and even unhealthy for everyday use.

Epsom salt is also kinda like a fish laxative. They'll crap their brains out when you add it to the water lol

Back
Top Bottom