Equipment and stock questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrcowboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Specs:
50 gall clear for life
Euro fill 60 sump
Rio HF20 as a return pump (in the sump)
SCWD
CPR CS102 Overflow
75lbs. of Live Rock
60lbs. of Live Sand

Now Im pretty lost when it comes to lighting and a skimmer.

I would like to keep hard and soft corals in the tank. The lighting unit I was looking at was the Corallife Power Compact Luner 36" with 96 watt 10,000K Daylight and 96 watt True Actinic 03 Blue Compact Fluorescent Lamps plus two 3/4 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LED 470nm Lamps. But will that be enough to have both hard and soft corals?The price range that I currently have due to the holidays is 200-300 bucks. Any suggestions?

Now on the skimmer I was looking into the ASM g1 http://www.windowtothesea.com/display.php?cat=21&subcat=290&item=1883

I haven't heard many people talk about this skimmer but I have been hearing a lot about the remora's and CPR backpacks. Any recomendations on a skimmer? I just want it to do its job efficiantly and be in the sump...

Also what is a refugium? And how do I start one?

The Remora's and Bakpaks always get recommended for one simple reason....They work! Some skimmers are just junk and a waste of money, like the Prizm. I haven't seen or heard any info on the skimmer you're looking at. I think the remora and bakpak are around that price and I'd go with one of those instead.

As for your lighting, if you intend on getting hard corals in the future then don't go cheap in this area. SPS corals need strong lighting. Plan on getting more intense lighting than you think you need. You don't want to be limited on your livestock further down the road, or have to buy a brand new fixture because you didn't think you needed one as strong. I'd take your time when it comes to lighting. Do your research and ask around. It's one of the more expensive items to buy, so you want to make the right choice.

technically, you could if the water level in your sump was high enough. But I'd just buy the in-sump models if you have a sump. I think AquaC makes an in-sump model called the Urchin.

Back
Top Bottom