Error with this website??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlk

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! I am not sure exactly what the issue is here. It started last night and the problem continues to plague me making even browsing this site impossible. When I try to click on anything (forums, questions, post an answer, etc), my Internet Explorer stops working and I receive an 'error message' stating "an error or failure of this website has forced Internet Explorer to close this program". I have tried refreshing and restarting my computer to no avail. I do not have this issue with any other sites, just here. Any suggestions???

I has issues previously with receiving email notifications and it had something to do with my internet provider (Comcast). I am wondering if this is another issue with my IP or this site-related issue as the error message suggests?

Sounds like a computer specific issues, not the site. I'm on comcast and firefox with no issues. Was it when you did something in particular or did it do it no matter what you clicked? Could be virus related too.

I do not have firefox- just Comcast Xfinity/Windows Explorer 7 (and Constant Guard/Norton anti-virus). I was merely browsing questions last night and this started happening. It happens no matter what I click on this specific site but does not occur on any other sites or with anything else except for this specific site.

I agree that a virus is probably to blame. I've had it happen to me on other websites. Get something like Firefox or Google Chrome, I've been running GC for a few months and haven't had a single issue.

I have just done a slew of searching for info on this issue & discovered part of the problem. My computer automatically updates itself. Well, I discovered it installed an update to 'adobe flash player' last night & apparently, quite a few people have had the same issue with certain sites once this update is installed because of compatability issues (DEP?). The solution evidently is either to remove the program or somehow turn DEP settings off & problem solved. Well, my computer refuses to uninstall the program because of a 'gplayer' which I can not find anywhere in my computer. And I am a loss.

I have problems getting my app to work most of the time. It pops up error thing and I can't read anything it just turns black

It was the site. I had issues with my phone and couldn't even get onto the site on my computer...

I SOLVED the problem!!!! I had to install an 'uninstaller' program & remove all of the Adobe Flash Player programs. Evidently, the new ones are not compatible with older running systems (my computer is 2 1/2 yrs old)- even those that are updated automatically. As I discovered , facebook did not work either & continually closed with error messages (same as this site). I guess I will not be able to open/run everything (ie videos) but my computer now works again!

EDIT-- this was too good to be true....now the site is not working AGAIN!!!!
I am at a complete & utter loss now on how to fix the problem!

Hi - I noted you said you were running IE 7. Can you try updating your browser version and see is this fixes the issue?

Ok- just spent 1/2hr talking to the Microsoft people. Apparently, my computer updated itself to internet explorer 9 automatically & this system is not compatible with my present Windows Vista setup or my 2yr old laptop. After uninstalling explorer 9 & disabling the automatic updates, its once again working. Hopefully, this solves my problem until I can afford to purchase a new computer!!!

IE 9 is nothing but problems. IE 8 is as high as I'd go... but Vista is another thing in itself. I made the mistake up updating to IE9 and had tons of issues with vBulletin forums, not just this one. I'm sure its a setting somewhere that can be tweaked, but going back down to IE8 was a much easier option.

best bet for you to do would be a complete computer scan for viruses and such. Download Malwarebytes AntiMalware Scanner (Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer). If you know how to restart your computer in "Safe Mode" that would be a good idea but its not always necessary. Install and Run the "Full Scan". It'll take a while, in my case its usually ubout an hour. After the scan finishes, it will tell you how many viruses it found (if any). Click "quarentine" i believe its called, but may be "remove".
After that, cross your fingers and restart.

Also I would change to a different browser if you can. IE has been know for years to be terrible. Firefox, Google Chrome or Opera are 3 good browsers. Firefox has the option to install add ons such as Ad Blocker (works great, rarely see ad pictures). To find any of these, just google them.

Ihope this helps, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom