errr ready to give up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceywater101

Aquarium Advice Activist
so after more than 2 months of trying to cycle my tank I am still having trouble. I just took another set of readings and they are pH 6.6 dont know why it crashed it was holding around 7.0. NH3/NH4 is at 4.0 NO2 .50 and NO3 is at 5. last week my NH3/NH4 was much lower and it seems that I never had a NO2 spike. I dont have a clue whats going on if anyone can help out it would be great.

what size is the tank and what is it currently stocked with?
The ammonia and nitrite can make your pH go haywire... it will never stabilize until your cycle is completely finished... so until ammonia and nitrite are at zero.. don't worry about the pH. Continue doing very small daily water changes to keep the ammonia from killing your fish and keep testing every other day.

its a 20 gal long with 5 danios. Fish seem to be doing well and not to stressed. I am thinking its my filter, I am gonna buy a different one this weekend to use with it and see if it helps.

what kind of filter? Get an aquaclear!!! THey are the best.

yes I was planning on getting an aquaclear 30 to add to my Millennium 2000. I am going to take out the active carbon filter and replace it with something else in the aquaclear because I am going to use the aquaclear as a filter for a qt tank and if it fixes my problem then I prob just get a larger aquaclear. Also I thinking of picking up some biospira while I am at the lfs.

I have had a cycle last for about a month - it will get better, I promise!

I googled your Milennium filter since I don't know much about it. I saw the media cartridge - it was just a little pocket of carbon, basically. When you change it, you throw out the little amount of good bacteria that it does hold. Most people don't run carbon in their tank all the time. It's useful for removing medicine (if you need to use meds in the main tank) or some people use it to remove the tannin discoloration from adding new driftwood. But it's really not needed all the time in the filter.

It would be better to get a filter that can hold more media - more media means more areas for the good bacteria to colonize. The Aquaclear is a good one. It comes with a sponge for mechanical filtration, and some ceramic media, I think. (I have one, but it's put away now, so I'm trying to remember what came with it.) Some people use two sponges in the media baskets for more surface area, and also, if you have two sponges, you can alternate rinsing them out in your removed tank water. That way you really can't over-rinse.

I also have a tank with a bio-wheel, and it comes with a little carbon cartridge too. I didn't use it - in the space where it went, I used some ceramic media and some filter floss. I did use the bio-wheel. When that tank was set up, it cycled fairly quickly.

Although you'll still have to complete your cycle, I think the Aquaclear will help out due to its larger capacity for holding media. Good luck!

A new aquaclear will come with one sponge, one bag of carbon, and one bag of ceramic rings.

I think I am going to use 1 bag of biomax rings, the sponge and the Ammonia Remover Insert I may actually bump up and get 2 aqua clear filters but as for now I am going to be running the 30 and may jump for the fifty later.

I would be careful of the ammonia removing cartridge too, especially if you are going to get Bio-Spira. If this cartridge removes all the ammonia, you'll be removing the food source of the Bio-Spira and any other good bacteria in there. The bacteria will die, you won't get a cycle started, and you will have wasted your money - Bio-Spira is not cheap. I know it's hard (yes, I've had my frustrations with tank cycling too) but the best way to cycle is just to let it happen on its own. Get the Aquaclear filter - its media will definitely help hold lots of bacteria. You could pour the Bio-Spira on the sponge and rings. But then just let nature take its course. Don't try to absorb the ammonia with this filter insert. Just do water changes as necessary to keep the fish healthy.

If you can't find Bio-Spira, I have had moderate success with Seachem Stability. It was not an instant cycle, but it will help. Don't expect an instant cycle from Bio-Spira either, no matter what it says on the package.

AquaClear is one of the best HOB filters IMO. I would stay away from the ammonia removing insert. It will more than likley mess up the readings that you are getting on your test kit. Hang in there it will cycle. My first tank took me about 8 weeks to cycle. Can you get any used filter media from a friend with an established tank (in good health of course)? or could you get some gravel from your LFS? Keep up with the water changes and soon it should cycle.

yeah, never use the ammonia remover... as he said, it will interfere with your biological cycle.. the bacteria will have nothing to eat and keep them alive.

Back
Top Bottom