Escape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vcorey04

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since i found my frog next to my bed, all he has wanted to do is crawl out all over again.

but now, i just picked up a galaxy rasbora off the floor and chucked'em back where he belongs!!

water level is not that high, but yeesh! these suckers jump/fly/leap wtv!

i need to get a screen. is there anything i need to avoid? has anyone dealt with flying fish and crawling frogs before?:bowl::bowl::bowl::bowl:

what size tank? i never had a galaxy rasbora jump on me. i would get a lid for the tank.

I don't know of anything to avoid, but do make sure that whatever you get can be modified to make a tight fit around any filter/pump/heater connections that need to pass through it. I recently lost a young eel who climbed out around the filter. I found him stuck to the wall behind the tank all dried out. The frog will be very good at finding any hole you leave him since they can climb on the glass.

A lot of people have good results using "eggcrate" plastic light diffuser panels. Cut it to size to cover the entire tank tightly & cut holes just large enough to pass your filters, etc. through.

You can use other plastic mesh (eg the yarn craft plastic "fabric"). Or you can get a glass top. One thing I would avoid is metal due to corrosion.

Egg crate is a good idea. I don't recommend glass because there's almost no way to modify it to make a tight fit around the filter. It can work for jumping fish, but the climbing frog presents more of a challenge since it is much more able to find available holes.

I once bought a newt. I had him for about 20 mins in a 10 gal. I put him in went to the fridge for a snack came back and he pulled a david blaine on me, never found him. same thing with some fiddler crabs I bought.

Egg crate is a good idea. I don't recommend glass because there's almost no way to modify it to make a tight fit around the filter.

My glass top comes with a 2-3" plastic strip at the back that you can cut to fit your hoses, etc.

i have a glass top, but i was told it reduced the amount of oxygen available at the surface??

my tank is 20 gal planted.

the frog keeps going to the same place on top of my CO2 diffuser and peaking out. caught him once and sent his booty packin..

this egg crate.. can someone post a picture? i'm thinking about the ones that hold eggs from the market or the big heavy plastic ones that hold vinyl?

..::confused::..

glad i posted, i was considering the screen that goes on windows like i had on my iguana tank, but that will rust??

:confused:

I once bought a newt. I had him for about 20 mins in a 10 gal. I put him in went to the fridge for a snack came back and he pulled a david blaine on me, never found him. same thing with some fiddler crabs I bought.

:cool: a moment in silence for the eel please.:angel:

:cool:another for the fiddler crabs.:angel:

:cool:once more for the missing newt.:angel:

:cool:and yet again for my flying galaxy rasbora.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom