Established tank, random deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meesh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an established planted tank (9 mos), 55 gallons. Water always tests fine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, never above 15 ppm nitrates. I clean and partial WC once a week, more if algae getting bad, although now that my bristlenose pleco is bigger she's keeping it under control.

Everyone is happy, swimming, eating, etc until someone wakes up dead. This morning it was a Clown Loach. Everyone is still juvenile. I examined the body, no signs of infection or injury)

It doesn't happen all the time, weeks can go by, but I'd sure like you know what's going on.

I have
5 Clown Loaches (surviving, I bought a "spare" two weeks ago when I had another inexplicable death and was down to 4)

Blue Eyed Lemon Bristlenose Pleco (I'll be heartbroken if she dies)

1 betta

5 zebra danio (down from the 7 I started the tank put with)

10 to 12 tummy nose tetra (hard to count them)

White Mystery Snail

Any ideas welcome.
20170704_075209.jpg

I have an established planted tank (9 mos), 55 gallons. Water always tests fine, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, never above 15 ppm nitrates. I clean and partial WC once a week, more if algae getting bad, although now that my bristlenose pleco is bigger she's keeping it under control.

Everyone is happy, swimming, eating, etc until someone wakes up dead. This morning it was a Clown Loach. Everyone is still juvenile. I examined the body, no signs of infection or injury)

It doesn't happen all the time, weeks can go by, but I'd sure like you know what's going on.

I have
5 Clown Loaches (surviving, I bought a "spare" two weeks ago when I had another inexplicable death and was down to 4)

Blue Eyed Lemon Bristlenose Pleco (I'll be heartbroken if she dies)

1 betta

5 zebra danio (down from the 7 I started the tank put with)

10 to 12 tummy nose tetra (hard to count them)

White Mystery Snail

Any ideas welcome.
View attachment 301115

Hello Mee...

Unless you're experienced in fish biology, it's difficult to know if there's a problem with the water or you have chosen an unhealthy fish. The best thing you can do is make sure the water is good enough to sustain a healthy fish. You do this by removing and replacing most of it every week and servicing the filter system too. Make sure the water is treated with a product like Seachem's "Safe" or something similar.

Add some floating plants to help maintain good water conditions between water changes. Hornwort, Anacharis, Water sprite and Pennywort are all good choices. just drop individual stems into the tank.

Don't fret over some algae. It's a sign of a healthy tank and you won't find a better water filter. It's also a good food supplement for the fish. As for foods, add some frozen kinds. Add some minced garlic, with no additives to the menu. This is an excellent source of nutrients and fish really go for it.

Above all, keep to a sound water change routine, no slacking.

B

Since your school of rummy nose tetras seem to be fine, chances are your water chemistry is also ok. Most tetras are sensitive to poor water conditions.
You indicated no signs of disease, only an occasional sudden death.
Most fish species as well as all animals in general have pecking orders. The stronger more dominant members bully the weaker ones. In the aquatic world the weak fish sometime get bullied to death. "No love in the fish world". This might have happened to your c.Loach.
There is no fish keeper that hasn't at some point woke up to find a prized fish floating belly up
with no clue to the cause.

Thanks. I'm doing everything right I guess. When schedule allows I do water changes, etc more than once a week, but once a week without fail. I occasionally give blood worms, I feed blanched spinach, cuke slices. Guess it just happens.

Good yo know about my tetras.

Back
Top Bottom