Euthanisia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I've come to the difficult decision that Im going to have to end my poor bettas suffering.
I do not want to do this but i feel it's for the best.

I don't have clove oil or vodka I hand and won't be able to get any tonight. Does anyone have any advice on the best alternative method I can use? please don't tell me to club him cos I won't

Thanks all

I dunno what other people's opinions are on putting them in a tub and putting it in the freezer it's the way my LFS said to do it I thought it was harsh but they said it just slows there heart down till it stops

I'm sorry for you and your fish. :(

This is a cut and paste from the Euthanisia sticky in this sub-forum:

Temperature Shock, Freezing

100% humane, and the best way to go when euthanizing tropical fish.

The method is simple. Freeze a bowl of water until it has ice chunks in it, but is not solid in any way. Net the fish out of your tank and into the bowl. The difference in water temperature will cause an instant and fatal shock to the internal organs and nervous system of the fish. Sound harsh, but the deed is done painlessly and instantly. Make sure that the water is frozen sufficiently for this to be humane. Being impatient and dropping the fish in very cold, but not half frozen water, will only torture it.

Whenever someone asks my opinion on euthanasia, this is the method I suggest. It is the easiest to perform for the average hobbyist, and is instant.

Thanks would it work the same with water filled with ice cubes do u think??

I think the point is for the water to be so cold it's almost frozen. I think if you put the bowl with water and ice cubes into your freezer for a bit, maybe until a thin layer of ice forms on top, the water would be sufficiently cold. Just break that top layer of ice so you can put him directly into the water.

Again I am sorry you are faced with this. You worked so hard on making his life better and getting him through that growth. At least his suffering will be over.

Thanks i shall do this when I get home from training later. It's a horrid choice to have made after having him so long. But I can't bear seeing him like this he's looking at me with such sad eyes

Does he even show signs of pain? If he's still eating and swimming IMO he still feels ok. Just make sure you make the right decision because once it's done you can never go back. I've seen your thread and he seems to be slowly healing. If it were my fish I would give it more time to heal. When people get horrible diseases like cancer for example we don't just kill them to end their suffering. Many people recover from cancer, and I think the fish should be given the same chance.

Cammy believe me if he hasn't taken such a turn for the worse I would but he can't swim properly as he's lost the use of the back end of his tail and today I've had to put him on top the filter so he can breathe rather than lying on the bottom panting.
I've invested so muh time in trying to get my favourite boy better I think it's the kindest thing to do

:( how long have you had him

My betta that I've had for 2 years died today:( that's why I'm worried about yours.

Over a year now. I really don't know what to do. I may wait and see how he is over night

I was faced with this very same decision a couple days ago. It's not an easy one to ask for help on. You open yourself to other people's opinions and some may not be so kind. I had my dragon fish for 8+ years and in the last few days he couldn't swim, stopped eating and just tore my heart out watching him knowing there was nothing I could do to help him. I finally sat on the idea over night and the next day (when I said I was going to do it) he had already passed on his own. I can tell you I do feel slightly relieved that I didn't have to go through with it. If your beta has stopped eating and you think it's suffering then do what you think you have to do.

Thanks Mlani. I'm going to leave it overnight as im not sure I can do it. If he's the same tomorrow then ill have to do it.

Hopefully you get lucky like I did. If not, I think the ice is the best way to go. It's fast and efficient. Just don't look in the bowl/cup when or if you have to do it. It will choke up even the strongest fish owner. Pm me if you need a ear that's been there.

He's still holding on. Just laying on the bottom of the tank giving me sad eyes whenever I go near the tank. He's been like this for 3 days now and I still can't bring myself to kill him

He's still holding on. Just laying on the bottom of the tank giving me sad eyes whenever I go near the tank. He's been like this for 3 days now and I still can't bring myself to kill him

You wouldn't be killing him. You would be easing his suffering. I know it is a hard decision and it will be hard to do but if he is suffering and you can end it you should. If it looks like there is no way to make him better and you have tried everything then sometimes it is the kindest thing we can do.

Back
Top Bottom