Euthanize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a zebra danio that appears half dead. He floats around upside down until something tries to eat the remains then swims rapidly in random directions. He's got a small red spot on him like something stabbed him. What are some humane ways to speed up his descent and make it less painful

Keep calm and drum on

I have a zebra danio that appears half dead. He floats around upside down until something tries to eat the remains then swims rapidly in random directions. He's got a small red spot on him like something stabbed him. What are some humane ways to speed up his descent and make it less painful

Keep calm and drum on

Most humane way to euthanize tropical fish that I know of (that can be done without connections at a vet) is to put a small cup of water in the freezer. ***Only leave it long enough for a few ice crystals to form across the rim and place the fish in. This shuts down their nervous system and stuff instantly if done correctly.
If left in for too long the fish's blood vessels will freeze leading to an incredibly slow death. It's hard to get it just right but just keep a sharp eye on it.
There's a thread on euthanasia in the unhealthy fish section.

The most commonly accepted way to euthanize a fish is clove oil. It can be bought as toothache remedy at most stores. I got mine at walgreens. Just google the name of the active ingredient... its not called clove oil.

When you have the clove oil mix a few drops into a vial of water and shake vigorously. It will turn milky white. This solution xan be added a few drops at a time to a container with some water and the fish.. probably 1 quart or so.

The clove oil is an anesthetic that puts the fish to sleep and shuts down their respirations killing them.

Thank you very much. I think the cause of the problem was with my Cory cats. It had a small red spot on its stomach area the size of the corys barb and I've seen it try to lay on a Cory so I'm guessing it got stabbed when I was away

Keep calm and drum on

Wow!! That's good to know. I'll have to look into that locally.

We've been leaving them in a cup of water till dead :(

That is no fun. Sorry to hear about your fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom