Euthanizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IHaveAquariums

Aquarium Advice Freak
So for anyone who saw my last post about my sick betta unfortunately he got worse and I euthanized him to end his misery. I've looked around before and I cannot find anything about how I euthanize. I freeze a cup of water to where it's not solid of course but very cold then I net the fish out of the tank and put it in there. They die really quickly like this because my thought is the temperate change is a huge shock so they just go. Any thoughts on how humane this may or may not be? Thanks

I use the ice cubes in a cup of water for fish that fit.
They pass in seconds so good enough.
Bigger fish are another story..
Lots of silly ways foolish people go about euthing their fish.
As a person with lots of fish that only really wants to have high quality fish I find whatever method is least stressful for the person has some importance also.

Bandit is very knowledgeable I believe I asked this topic a long long time ago and that's the reply he gave me, I get a bowl of ice and let the water trickle over it until full then I put it back in the freezer for a few minutes(while I'm catching the fish) then do the very hard thing of putting the fish into it (it can't be refrozen, if ice is covering the top of the water break it up) , they do pass in seconds the water has to be freezing cold though to get the best and quickest euthanization.

Rip to your fish.

Humane enough, when it comes to euthanizing there is really no right or wrong unless you really try to stretch it out.

Clove oil is my first choice, then vodka. I've never tried the cold "ice" water before.

Local grocery store pharmacy or regular pharmacy perhaps and there is a artificially flavored one which is cheap and NOT the one to buy. Ask for pure clove oil. It is a little spendy but works quickly.

The local store ordered it and it arrived the next business day. One may be able to find it at a cake decorating store /supply shop. You need very little amount. Lasts for years.

It can be used for anesthetizing as well but I wouldn't really know how to feel comfortable using it for that, as if you get too much, it is nite, nite fishy.

Back
Top Bottom