evaporation and hermits dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
so here is my delema, when i first started stocking my aquarium i had three electric blue hermits, with in two weeks one died the next week another died and one lived for about 3 weeks. the hood that i had had alot of holes so i was gettign about a gallon or two evaporation every two days.

i later made a hood out of plexiglass with did an awesome job of stopping alot of evaporation and was only gettign maybe .25 gallons of evaporation a week, but over time it started to bow in the middle. so last weekend i did a PWC went to rinse off one of my filter pads and found out it was clogged and i needed to replace it, fine easy enough. so i decided i was goign to try and straighten my cover and it cracked right down the center.

when i get to my LFS to by it i also picked up two more hermits 4 nassarius snails and a trochus snail. i drip acclimated and of them then put them in the water. they all seemed to be going strong. i didn't put the hood back on as some say that having a hood is no good. needless to say i topped up every other day to a total of 4 gallons. i came home from my girlfriend's lastnight to find a hermit that hasn't moved much in the past few days totally molted and out of its shell with the other one grazing the opening :(

i am runnign two power filters and both have gills cut in the tops so gas exchange still happens as well i have a biocube skimmer which has air stones so it helps airrate the water

my question is how sensitive are hermit crabs to salinity change because on a 26 gallon that much evaporation is a big change and i'm worried about getting cleaner shrimp because of this so i kind of want to repair the cover ot make another and put it back on

Molting is normal. You need to have larger shells in the tank that the hermit can call home.

Evaporation is normal and you need to top off with RODI water to maintain a consistent SG. You may want to look at an auto-topoff if you find the daily addition to be too much work.

i know this, i have 4 empty shells sitting around and its not molting the smaller hermit crab kileld the one ate it and stole its shell.

i just bought an RODI unit but have been using distilled water to top up

Back
Top Bottom