everyone with 6ft tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cogburn

Aquarium Advice Freak
how did you guys get your tanks, stands, and canopies home?... i have a tacoma with 5ft bed and a grand cherokee not big enough... i do have a 5x8 trailer but its a cheap lowes job... would i be better off borrowing my dad's silverado with 8ft bed to get my 6ft tank home or will i be better off with my trailer? either way ill be wrapping the tank in bubble wrap... but i have a 2.5 hour drive... im scared... what should i do?

-Larry :clown:

Yea I used a fullsize truck with a 6 ft bed. Use his silverado.

Agree, use the silverado. I used my wife's Windstar mini-van, with the back seat and the middle row bucket seats removed and had plenty of room.

well okay then... thanks guys for the quick response... kinda what i figured... seems safer to me... more suspension supporting it

Borrow plenty of thick blankets for the tank to rest on. Bubblewrap tends to pop if jostled around wrong.

yeah that was my plan... put 2 or 3 blankets down for the bottom... then wrap it in bubble wrap.. put the canopy on top of it and tie a rope around that... but not terribly tight.. then just put the stand next to it... and a blanket between the stand and tank... ill be biting my nails down to the elbow the whole trip home... every single bump ill die a little inside...

I just set mine in the back of the dump truck. It made it home just fine.

Mine would have normally been hour and a half. I just took my time and watched out for bumps. It ended up taking 2 hours to get home but it was my only option. I only had a dump truck and a bike at that time. Now i ahve a pickup also so i would use that.

Don't put the canapoy on the top of the tank. One thing loosens up, one bump the wrong way and the canopy goes crashing through the bottom.
Another thing to do... load the tank just barely forward of the axle. Less motion, esoecially iif you use a trailer.

I drove from VT to MT to TX with a 150g tank (+ 30 - 10,20g tanks) in a 5x8 trailer with other stuff and made the trip just fine.

I second NOT using the trailer. Small trailers have terrible suspensions, particularly when they are lightly loaded. Pad the tank with blankets and you'll be fine. Don't forget that tanks are shipped all over the country in those cardboard boxes and the vast majority of them arrive just fine.

Does your truck have a tailgate? Is the bed 6' with the tailgate down? If so you'd probably be fine using that. I used to have a truck and I've driven around with all sorts of weird stuff back there and with some careful tying have never had any problems, nor have I lost anything.

I agree about not using a lightly loaded trailer. Mine was loaded to the hilt and had enough weight on the springs to keep them in the "working zone".. ie: a little softer... but not much.

Couldn't use the truck bed. The 8 ft slide in camper was in it for the 2.5 day trip.

$4.00 a gallon. 2.5 hours is that round trip?

nope its 2.5 hours each way... just about 100 miles each way... so probably 5 hours 200 miles total... we make the trip all the time... HUUUUGE fish store the size of a super walmart... we go every 2 or 3 months... well worth the trip... when we go we take my 4cyl tacoma... i dont even use a half tank for the whole trip... but im sure with my dad's 8cyl silverado itll suck... but i dont care... well worth it...

You must be talking about That Fish Place. I bought my tank there too. I used my parents van with the 2 back rows of seats out to get it home. TFP is about a 2 hr drive for me, but I got the tank at an unreal price. They screwed up on the price on their website. I called them to verify the price and they said the website was wrong, but they would honor the price. I got it for $279.....Perfecto 125 Corner-Flo.

Back
Top Bottom