Exact instructions on building a brackish tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_907289_0_7cf22641062a8be104c61ebf764f6c8f.jpg

Here's my George

The PetSmart near me often has the Dwarf Puffers in stock, but it's a bit hit and miss on any given week. PetSmart actually breeds them for their stores. They are adorable fish with lots of personality. Unfotunately I lost mine last winter when the house lost power for a couple of days.

The PetSmart near me often has the Dwarf Puffers in stock, but it's a bit hit and miss on any given week. PetSmart actually breeds them for their stores. They are adorable fish with lots of personality. Unfotunately I lost mine last winter when the house lost power for a couple of days.
Joy,
I just got off of the phone with my local Petsmart and they said they do not carry them and will not even order one for me....she said that "puffers were not on their roster of fish that they order, ever"....then she referred me to Walmart....uugghhhh.....what would be the likelihood that I got a healthy one from Walmart zero to one I bet. I have one other lfs I can contact and see if they will order me one....here's hoping.

That's a GSP. I have also, only seen dwarf puffers at my local Petsmart. I have purchased fish from Wal-mart in the past it's actually not that bad. Well, depending on who's in charge of the aquatic section and how much they care about it. I have yet to see dwarf puffers at any local Wal-mart though.

Joy,
I just got off of the phone with my local Petsmart and they said they do not carry them and will not even order one for me....she said that "puffers were not on their roster of fish that they order, ever"....then she referred me to Walmart....uugghhhh.....what would be the likelihood that I got a healthy one from Walmart zero to one I bet. I have one other lfs I can contact and see if they will order me one....here's hoping.

Well my PetSmart definately has carried them (haven't seen them in stock lately) so maybe they are no longer available and this was a newer manager. I'd definately try your LFS or maybe try ordering them through another hobbiest.

Well Dottie if you strike out locally, you could try...

LiveAquaria.com has them listed for $7.49. I'm a bit confused, as they are calling them Tetraodon travancoricus rather than Carinotetraodon travancoricus, which is the scientific name listed on DwarfPuffers.com, but I am 95% sure they are talking about the same fish and it's just a matter of the scientific name being recently re-assigned, as happens often among livestock in the aquarium trade in my experience.

Another place that lists them is AZ Gardens. I would be more concerned here, being as how everything they write in their description of the puffers is completely wrong, from the assertion they are brackish fish to the claim that they are schooling fish. AZ Gardens is a bit notorious for not being very knowledgable about the livestock they sell (they regularly mis-label dwarf shrimp), so there is a little more risk ordering from them.

Well Dottie if you strike out locally, you could try...

LiveAquaria.com has them listed for $7.49. I'm a bit confused, as they are calling them Tetraodon travancoricus rather than Carinotetraodon travancoricus, which is the scientific name listed on DwarfPuffers.com, but I am 95% sure they are talking about the same fish and it's just a matter of the scientific name being recently re-assigned, as happens often among livestock in the aquarium trade in my experience.

Another place that lists them is AZ Gardens. I would be more concerned here, being as how everything they write in their description of the puffers is completely wrong, from the assertion they are brackish fish to the claim that they are schooling fish. AZ Gardens is a bit notorious for not being very knowledgable about the livestock they sell (they regularly mis-label dwarf shrimp), so there is a little more risk ordering from them.
how about aquabid?

how about aquabid?

Last I checked (when you first started the thread, actually) there was only one auction, and it was for 6 of them. But sure, if you keep your eyes open and can find an auction for one, that would probably be a great option.

Another place to look for them is in the classifieds forum at The Puffer Forum • The Puffer Fish Care Community. Sometimes hobbyists are getting out of the hobby or moving or have actually bred their dwarfs. So you might find a deal there. And anyway, it is a great resource for any puffer keeper!

I've been a member since early this year. I found it when I was researching Figure 8 puffers before I got mine. I find it to have the most accurate and most complete information about puffers as well as lots of people with tons of experience.

Ahh yes, good link bazil323. I was going to put that link in one of my previous posts and just forgot to.

Well, no luck with my local fish stores....neither of the fish suppliers that they get their fish from have the dwarf puffers....so I am stuck with having one shipped I guess. And, here I have a perfectly cycled 5g tank just waiting for an occupant...lol. Anyway, I can't decided what to do. I went to that other website that bazil323 showed me and didn't find any dwarfs for sale.

I looked more closely at the liveaquaria.com ad and you have to order a minimum of 29.99 and shipping is something like $35 (for a $7.49 fish)???? Doesn't make sense to order it from them. So, back to square one...

I looked more closely at the liveaquaria.com ad and you have to order a minimum of 29.99 and shipping is something like $35 (for a $7.49 fish)???? Doesn't make sense to order it from them. So, back to square one...

Dottie, you might consider registering on the puffer forum and then posting a thread asking people if they have any recommendations for where to buy DP's online. Explain that the one place you found requires a $30 minimum purchase and since you only want to buy 1. The folks there might have some advice about other places to buy them.

Thanks JohnPaul...I will try to get to that soon. I have been having some personal issues arise as of late and haven't been on much the last couple of days....will get to it and maybe someone can give me some suggestions on the puffer site...thanks again!

Went ahead and got registered over there just a minute ago....no time like the present, right? Anyway, hopefully I will get some help over there....thanks again JohnPaul and Bazil323.

Any update? Did you make any decisions yet?
JohnPaul,
I am communicating with a lady over on dwarfpuffers.com who is looking for a home for four of her females....I am just getting one. She is now trying to find out how much it would cost to overnight the fish to me instead of priority, since there is never a guarantee of 2-3 days. I mght have a dwarf puffer by this time next week.....:p. Keeping my fingers crossed!

new dwarf puffer

I got her from a lady I met on dwarfpuffers.com. She is beautiful and we have named her Gloria.....;)

Attachments

• DSC02749.jpg
    DSC02749.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC02752.jpg
    DSC02752.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 54
Yes...the lady on dwarfpuffers.com called her a "plus size model"....she is just glorious, that is why we named her Gloria. She now has a tank full of snails and cherry shrimp (which is what her diet consisted of at her old home) to feast upon when ready....she is busy checking out everything right now. Her previous owner assured me that she doesn't kill just to kill...she only kills when hungry, so they should cohabitate nicely, until she wants a little snack.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom