Excel and val. Contortionist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank has acquired some BBA, and I plan to do less feeding to encourage my SAE to eat the algae and reduce waste. I am also having my light on in 2 hour periods of on and off, to help prevent algae development. I also plan on dosing excel, but I have some contortionist Val's and do not want to melt them. Could I dose a ten gallon dose (75 gallon tank), instead of the full dosage? Would this still melt the Val's?

I think plants need 4 hours of light at once to photosynthesize ?

BBA you can try squirting excel or peroxide directly on it. (?)

1/2 dose of Excel may be ok ?

I have Vals, but they've been habituated to excel from my friends tank. I don't dose daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dosing at about 1/7 strength may or may not cure BBA but it's worth a try. I had BBA and successfully cleared all of it with normal dosage of Excel but all my Vals melted. I planted crypts, Java Fern and Moss which have flourished. I use Excel daily and inject Co2 and use Flourish. My lights are on 12 hours a day, although they are only the normal T8's and not overly bright. My red crypts are about 18" high and sending out runners. All in all I don't miss the Vals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll give it a try, and I'll see what the 2 hours periods do to the plants. Thanks for helping!

Back
Top Bottom