Excel kills my Otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newsalt4me

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello to all... i was just wondering if anyone else has had issues with Excel killing Ottos? Besides my Sera controlled CO2 injection i decided to add Excel and 2 weeks after starting to dose all my otos (5) died all at the same time. I then discontinued excel and replaced my otos and not a single one has died since. The ones that died where nice and healthy and the only variable was the excel....anyone else had this problem?

img_1692276_0_7c1b1aa58e5551b504db97cbca613d45.jpg

img_1692276_1_f4a2e36bc8c2ccc542f35e70d82b18a1.jpg

I've heard rumors of this happening to certain pencil fish species but I think it's not well documented yet. I've got ottos and dose excel never had a problem. Did you try your first dose before the lights where on for the day? Or after?

I've never heard of excel killing otos, and I dose it in my tank with otos too. They should be fine even at double and triple dose.

Otos, especially wild caught ones, are just kind of like that. They're extremely fragile for thee first two months or so, but pretty hardy once they get settled in. A lot of the time people will lose their otos because there wasn't enough algae for them and their diet wasn't supplemented. Not saying that's what happened to you, but it's one of the many reasons we frown on stocking algae eaters to eat algae.

I have 8 otos in one of my tanks and dose Excel everyday I have never lost 1 and the tank has been running for over a year

Back
Top Bottom