excess debris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any input would be helpful. From a short distance my tank looks really clear, but when I get up close I notice tiny particles floating around. My perimeters are really good, so I assume it is mostly air bubbles. However I was just making an adjustment on a plant and I noticed I had disturbed even more debris. I decided to check my filter cartridges and when I lifted one of them up to look, I noticed a lot of junk entered the tank. It looked like fibers and small particles everywhere! I rinsed the filter and the extra floss in that particular filter (I have 2) in prime treated water, but my tank looks horrible:eek:!! That can't possibly be good for the fish. What should I do?

Clean you filter pads in old tank water, do a good vacuum job and water change. Are you feeding a lot?

I agree with the experts on here that recommend avoiding adding additional chemicals, but it just occurred to me that maybe I should use something to help clear the water. From what I understand these products simply cause the junk to bind. Are there any adverse effects?

Clean you filter pads in old tank water, do a good vacuum job and water change. Are you feeding a lot?

Yes. I had such a small bioload with the fish I had, so I was adding slightly more food to get my cycle moving.

Don't add anything in a bottle to clear up the tank. All you need is a good water change and to stop overfeeding.

Reygan2 said:
I agree with the experts on here that recommend avoiding adding additional chemicals, but it just occurred to me that maybe I should use something to help clear the water. From what I understand these products simply cause the junk to bind. Are there any adverse effects?

If possible you should probably not use chemicals but I will admit to using a water clarifier from time to time and I've not seen any adverse effects. :)

Since I did overfeed maybe I should vacuum, do a pwc, and then see what happens. I just don't want to disturb my newly established BB.

Reygan2 said:
Since I did overfeed maybe I should vacuum, do a pwc, and then see what happens. I just don't want to disturb my newly established BB.

Yeah that might help! How long did you say you've had the tank set up? I didn't see it on here

I know cloudy water can be a real nuisance it drives me absolutely nuts!! Do the vacuuming and pwc and if still no results you can try the water clarifier I use one by aqueon and seem to have good results but make sure and follow the directions carefully and you should be ok.

Yeah that might help! How long did you say you've had the tank set up? I didn't see it on here
Almost 5 wks. It is newly cycled. I just tested and my results remain: amm-0, nitrItes-0, nitrates-.5, ph-7.6. I just did a 30% pwc, vacuumed, rinsed filters, and there is still entirely too much debris floating around. Is this normal? Also, I turned up my aquaclear HOB and even more junk came from the increased flow from my filter:confused:. I have 2 HOB's, and an air stone. Should I go ahead with the clarifier?

Sounds like there's gunk in your filter housing. I would remove the filter and rinse all the parts out in a bucket. Then just put it back together and rehang.

When you do gravel vacs, are you really getting down in there?

Maybe I didn't rinse my filters out enough, but I am so terrified of harming my BB. Is is ok to rinse them in fresh, prime treated water? And how thoroughly should I "swish" them?

Don't rinse off the filter media, just rinse out the filter housing. If you have gooey junk on the filter, do rinse that, though or the water can't get through.

For the future, I rinse my filter media off (when it needs it) at the same time we are removing water through the python for our water changes. This gives me the flow I need and the tank water that I need to do this task.

Sounds like there's gunk in your filter housing. I would remove the filter and rinse all the parts out in a bucket. Then just put it back together and rehang.

Well, kind of, I'm just randomly siphoning because...once again...I don't want to disturb too much of the BB at one time.:(

Don't worry about the bb in your gravel. The majority is in your filter. You really need to get the gunk out of that tank or you'll go through a mini-cycle.

Ok, rinsed the filter housing on one and there was definatly junk in there. But there is still alot floating around. It doens't seem to be in or on the gravel. Nearly all of my artificial plants are silk and it seems to be worse when I brush against them, so that might be problem. It is clearing up some now since I've finished and left it alone. I'm probably stressing my little fish like crazy.

Ok, it's been several hours and my tank is really clear. I decided to test again just to check my numbers after cleaning. Amm, no2 and ph was the same, but my no3 was barely..if at all..detectable. Is this ok or do I have a huge catastrophy on my hands:confused:

sounds fine, the nitrates are lower cause of the PWC, almost sounds like lint in the water... like when I first introduced water the towel lint was really bad.... as long as you didnt rinse in chlorinated water sounds like everything will be ok....

Back
Top Bottom