Excess plant trimmings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure if wisteria or water sprite is like any other stem plant, but stems like my rotala, ludwigia, and limnophila i just trim and plant right away if I'm trying to fill a certain area. The roots develop regardless. But after a while the bottom of a stem plant can start to look bad, that's the time i clip the tops off, uproot the bottoms, and replant the tops.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if wisteria or water sprite is like any other stem plant, but stems like my rotala, ludwigia, and limnophila i just trim and plant right away if I'm trying to fill a certain area. The roots develop regardless. But after a while the bottom of a stem plant can start to look bad, that's the time i clip the tops off, uproot the bottoms, and replant the tops.

But if you replace the old with the clippings, then how do you ever get enough to cover the spaces you want covered? Yes, my wisteria is looking rather haggard near the bottom...as is the water sprite.

You don't replace the old right away. You do so after several trimmings. If you don't trim as often as you should, the bottoms don't get light because the tops block light, so the leaves fall off and deteriorate at the bottom.. The key is to trim and plant before that happens. The remaining old stem should then grow two new shoots, while the new clipping you just planted is rooting itself.. Repeat the process several times and you'll soon have a lot of stems.

If I have a plant that I can just trim and replant, I just do it and they turn out just fine. I'm too impatient to wait for roots and what not.

Back
Top Bottom