Experience buying fish at chain pet stores?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can people share their thoughts on the health of fish from the likes of Petsmart, Petco, Pet Supermarket, etc?

These types of places are much closer to me, but I am hesitant to introduce fish from these stores without feedback.

You can get healthy fish from big box stores like the ones you've listed, I would strongly recommend quarantining them for atleast 2 weeks prior to main tank introduction. Using a paraguard type med in the qt wouldn't hurt either. Most of those stores have a central filtration system so if one fish has something they all do! Good luck!!

I don't buy from big box stores because most of the time their fish are extremley unhealthy and I don't want to encourage them. Just my opinion but I spend the extra few dollars and help my LFS.

Ya same here I barely buy from petco petsmart. I mean the place I get my fish from is pricey but there all taken care of and it's only freshwater so they no what there doing. Also all there fish are wild caught and not bred in stores

Not all the box stores are the same, for example a Petsmart in north deleware may have great fish and customer service, while one 12 miles away may be happy. There is no honest answer whether Petsmart is better than Petco or something, because they are all different. But i would reccomending being very skeptical and cautious, just like any fish store.

I check there tanks. If I see chain of dead fish in there tanks I stay away. My rule is 5

I too avoid chain stores for livestock, keep in mind not everyone has simple access to specialty Lfs. My petsmart has extremely good looking fish, healthy, they even have accurate stats listed next to the tanks..

It varies by store. I'm east of Nashville, PM me if you want experience based opinions on stores this side of town. There is a good non-chain store in south Nashville and another going in to the west. The options are more limited out my way but I have had good experiences at a couple places.

Buying fish from a big box pet store is a real crap shoot. Sometimes you get lucky, most of the time not. Remember fish are just part of their business and it all depends on what level of responsibility the staff has. Personally. if you gave me a choice between 20 lashes with a cane or buying big box fish. I'll take the lashing. I sympathize for people whose only source are big box stores. I've had great luck buying from private breeders and a couple of online stores. Get a cheap 10G and ALWAYS use QT. OS.

I have bought fish at Petsmart and I haven't had any problem. Where ever you purchase fish you should always check out the tank for sick fish before buying them. I currently have a Pictus catfish I bought from Petsmart almost three years ago. He/she is doing great.

I've had mixed results with both petco and my LFS. Same goes for some fish I got off aquabid, one group was in terrible shape the other from a different seller were in great health.

It's all a crapshoot. Try to pick the best specimen, acclimate properly and have a tank with good parameters. That's the best advice I could give.

Not all the box stores are the same, for example a Petsmart in north deleware may have great fish and customer service, while one 12 miles away may be happy. There is no honest answer whether Petsmart is better than Petco or something, because they are all different. But i would reccomending being very skeptical and cautious, just like any fish store.

That's true, not all chain stores are the same. There is a Petco in Somerville NJ that has a very well trained crew and these guys are fanatic keeping their fish in top shape. Where the problem lies is where they originally come from and yes they use a central filtering system for a few tanks so I would think there is a lot of diseases being passed around.

My local petco is suprisingly amazing. Selection. They have several types of rams, hatchets, black ghost knifes, a breeding pair of kribs, albino kribs, fidler crabs (or something like that), a grey/black/white syndotis catfish sp., and a tire track eel. These are just the fish i thought were strange for a petco, and they seemed to be healthy. (Except for the time i saw a sae feeding on a dead pleco)

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My LFS does not have the best selection,just the ordinary boring fish.We got a new Petco a year ago and they have a awesome selection .Alot of really cool fish.I rarely see a dead fish in there tanks.I picked up 2 dwarf gouramis the other day and they are doing great.Very happy and active .Bright vibrant colors,really enjoy watching them.

I hate to say it but i think Petco is putting a hurting on the LFS.Its to small of a store and they just dont have the room for the variety of fish that Petco does.I always try to give to the locals over the big stores ,but its hard driving by Petcos selection to go to the LFS

I've had no issues with my local stores. Most allow you to return fish that don't make it within 14 days. As others have said, just make sure the fish in the tank look healthy.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392586966.794916.jpgheres were I get my fish. They have 3 isles of that the best place ive ever seen lol

Yo Rock! Where and what is the name? It looks great.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's in central jersey. Check out it's online store it's shark aquarium. It's only freshwater tho

Back
Top Bottom