Experienced FishKeeper: New 50 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKjEi o2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting a new 50 gallon aquarium. I am open to all ideas. So far some of my ideas have been Silver Dollars, Glass Catfish, Rams, etc.

I am finding large flaws in all of these ideas though. My budget is somewhat large because I want this tank to look nice as it will be in my living room.

I am looking for a fish that interacts with the rock work and plants. So far the only fish I've owned that does this is a Kribensis but I already have them in 2 other tanks and am looking for something different/ more colorful. I hate fish that just float around in the midge kind, that's why I ruled out Silver Dollars and Glass Catfish.

I just want some color and most of all personality. PM me with any questions.

I already have a tank of mbuna so I'm looking fir something a little different. Plus I want a planted tank.
Can anyone ID this fish? I would love these:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387598132.086608.jpg

Schooling fish though, it would be pretty tight in a 50 as they are a medium fish and need a group

If I were to get 6 or so Denisons, what other type of fish could I put in the same tank? I have heard Denisons like cooler temperatures.

6 denisons will be fine. Here's some other fish to look into to keep with them:
Red Tailed Shark
Opaline, blue or gold gourami
Bristlenose Pleco
Bolivian Ram
Cory Cats
Spotted Pictus Cats
Rainbow Shark
Rainbow Fish
Giant Danio

Before any one should give stock advice. A 50 gallon comes in a cube and a hex besides standard 48". what is the foot print of the tank?

Reactions: HN1
Dimensions: 48 1/4"L x 12 3/4"W x 20"H

It would be heavily planted.

Oh ok that's a standard 55 gallon then are there any fish in particular you like the looks of besides the Denison barbs?

I'm looking for a centerpiece fish.

Maybe a GBR or a Samurai Gourami.
I have owned both before and I want to try something different.

Do you have any suggestions?

Oh I forgot to add that I also want bamboo shrimp.

I have heard they like warm temps, would they be alright with the barbs?

How would the bioload look?

Does anyone have past experience with them?

Look into blue gouramis they would look good. I think that Denison barbs would pick on bamboo shrimp. Are you doing a sand or gravel bottom?

Ok if you do smooth gravel for the bottom I would do a huge school of cory cats. Look into a stock of

1- Blue Gourami
5- Denison Barbs
12- Panda Cory's
10- Rummy Nose Tetra
1- BN Pleco

Are Cory cats nocturnal? I made the mistake of buying Upside Down Catfish a while back and never saw them.

Btw, I appreciate the help.

No they are nothing like syndontis species I have one currently and I don't see him to much but he's awesome!

The Cory's are very active and will always be out foraging for food.

Are plecos more active in larger tanks? If not, is there an alternative to them?

Back
Top Bottom