Experiences with Danio (previously microrasbora) erythromicron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua_chem

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently had the opportunity to pick up a small colony of this nanofish. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of quality information available on their care. So far I've noticed that they are extremely shy, and a little bit difficult to feed due to a slightly less shy tankmate, a female mustard gas doubletail betta.

I'm wanting the following information from anyone that has some experience with these guys:

What did you feed them?
What temp did you keep them at?
Any experience with breeding them or having them breed in your tank?
Tankmates?
And do they ever get braver?
And of course any other information.

Any assistance in this manner would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, no experience myself but I've read they are similar to Celestial Pearl Danio which I have. Some links to your fish are below. They seem to like cooler waters though, like my CPDs do, and so that may be problematic with your Betta. Since they are very small fish I'd feed them Hikari micropellets or New Life Specrum .5mm small pellets (what I feed mine). They may also stay at the bottom and not venture up for food (my CPDs are that way) so I soak some of the NLS pellets in a cup of tank water for a couple of minutes until they sink, then put them into the tank.

Danio erythromicron - Seriously Fish
Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Danio erythromicron) Profile
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-exclusives/aquarium-fish-international/emerald-dwarf-rasbora.aspx

The betta is hopefully a temporary resident. They're currently cohabitating for a number of reasons, including quarantine, before the betta will hopefully get a new home.

But yea, I got both those sites too in the 'google' phase of my research. They were helpful, but I was hoping for anecdotal accounts, as general pages tend to be fairly broad.

Mostly flake. I haven't tried live, though I probably should since they are likely wild caught. I offer them frozen from time to time but it doesn't seem they really eat it.

70-75F

No breeding as of yet.

I keep them with CPD's and CPO's. I kept them with a betta, some platties, and endlers in the past. After a while I had lost a couple and then realized the tank was probably too warm for them. Since tranferring them to a cooler tank I've never lost one. Not sure if this is related, but I think that like CPD's they prefer cooler water.

They'll definitely get braver w/o larger fish around. Mine are under a cover of riccia and that helps as well. They are out and about being very active most of the time. :)

Back
Top Bottom