Explain lighting, Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
I don't like the look of plastic plants and want to go the planted route (in my 36 gal) but don't have $50-100 to spend on a new light strip. My husband and I have been debating about this for a week and haven't come to a solution, so I've decided to ask for help (I'm new to the fish keeping hobby and he doesn't want me to spend more money at the moment then I already have!) I am unsure of the watts in the lighting set up that I have now as it came with the aquarium but it has a T818 24" Marineland Natural Daylight bulb. Is this enough light to keep anything alive and if not, what is a cheap fix?

With that 18W over the tank, you are looking at extra-low light setup. Unless you can supplement the light, you won't have much success with most plants.

Even low-light plants need more than the 0.5wpg that you have to thrive. However, you might try some Java ferns. They will not grow under super low light conditions, but generally won't die either. Another option is to have floating plants. Typically, you lose 50% of the light when it has to pass through the 12-18" of water in your size tank. Plants floating at the surface would get more light. Some floating hornwort might work in your situation.

You might be able to increase the light getting into the tank cheaply. Do you have a glass top? If so, you can hang a shop light (or some other fluorescent fixture) above the tank. Some others have left their tank open top & use office fixtures above for light. <Generally, a 4' tank is best size for cheap DIY light, as 4' shop-lights can be had for under $20. For smaller tank, you can always use the 4' & let it hang over the sides, or opt for 2' fixtures. A really ambitious DIY option is to take a 4' shoplight & make it into a 2' fixture.>

My husband and I have been debating about this for a week and haven't come to a solution, so I've decided to ask for help (I'm new to the fish keeping hobby and he doesn't want me to spend more money at the moment then I already have!)

My hubby set me a limit too :puppydogeyes:.

Anyway, on to the rest. First I don't have a ton of experience on this but I have done a ton of research in the last few weeks for my 75gal and I feel I am not even scratching the surface. I focused on fluorescents since that is what I decided to use. This is a website I found that I really liked:
Welcome to Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks

Also check out this stickie if you haven't already:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/read-this-first-resources-and-references-83826.html

At this point, IMO the best thing for you to do is decide the kind of plants you want keep. If you are just trying to add some "real green" to your tank I would personally go with low or low-medium lighting. The low light will limit your choices but you can get away with cheaper lights.

Again this is JMO, but the cheapest thing for you right now would be to
a) If you have a canopy, retrofit with regular shoplights fixtures (T8 are better than T12's if you can get them). One difference between the shoplights and the expensive aquarium lights is the reflector, meaning that the aquarium light fixtures reflect most of the light downwards into your tank while the shoplights spread it). Of the fluorescent, T5's are best but they are more expensive.
b)If you don't have a canopy, try getting used lighting off of craigslist (if youre doing this don't even bother with T12, go for T8) (hanging the shop lights will work too like suggested)

The WPG Rule (watts per galon rule):
You will see this rule quoted often and on average people will say that
Low light = 1-2wpg
Medium light = 2-3wpg
High light = >3wpg
This is a guideline and many factors affect this (I can tell you some more about this but this is getting awfully long so tell me whether you want know), so take this rule with a grain of salt.

Things to consider:
-Light + Not enough CO2 for your plants = ALGAE!
-Depending on your plants, you might need to fertilize, that is a whooole other discussion (so research your plants before you get them, are they high or low maintenance?). For low light set-up you can most likely get away with just something like seachem fluorish. Not sure about medium lights.

If you decide to keep low light plants, here's a website on some
Low Light Plants - Aquaria Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish
I would add the Vallisneria (or vals) plants to this list.

Try Sweetaquatics for ordering (I have no affiliation to them, that's just where I order my plants)

One cool thing about plants is that they consume nitrogenous compounds (like nitrates) and will help keep your levels down. In my 20gal planted I never see nitrates above 0ppm (this means I need to add fertilizer which I am looking into, like I said we can talk about ferts later)

Another novel again, sorry but I hope it helps, I tried to be concise without misleading. Other ppl feel free to correct me if I said anything wrong.

Cheers,

If you're working on a budget, it's best to stay low-tech. That means lower light levels and no CO2.

As jsoong said, 18W over 36g won't cut it. Your best option would be to either retrofit your current fixture so you can run spiral CFL bulbs or pick up a fluorescent shop light. Menards has a 48" American Fluorescent fixture that uses either two T5 or T8 bulbs for about $25. It's got pretty good reflectors.

Try to keep the light levels around 1-1.5Wpg. Put the light on a timer for 8-12 hours per day and you'll be set to start growing some plants. Java ferns are great plants to start with.

My tank demensions= 30"L, 12.5"W. and 22.5"

I do have a glass canopy. Tank is located in my main floor of living, so I'd really love to get some type of lighting that works for the tank AND doesn't stand out like a sore thumb, kwim?

Thanks for the java fern and hornwort suggestions. When I first brought home the tank, I bought some ribbon plants and some swords as were recommended at my LFS for a low light setup because I couldn't bring myself to buy a bunch of plastic plants. I didn't realize until a few weeks later that the ribbons aren't even true aquatic plants. So far both the ribbons and the swords are still alive (I've had them about a little over a month) but I don't know how long that will be the case. The tank was fully cycled and I just now have finished stocking the tank. Still on a budget, but I am ready now to concentrate on what I need to do as far as lighting is concerned. I've been watching Craigslist but haven't found anything that will work yet. I did find some javaferns at my LFS last week which was forward progress on the plant front! Hoping they'll have some more when I go back in next time.

Would something like this work?

Amazon.com: Zoo Med AquaSun T5-HO Double Light Linear Fluorescent Hood, 30-Inch: Kitchen & Dining: Reviews, Prices & more

That's a pretty potent light. Be aware that you may need CO2 and ferts with that light to prevent algae outbreaks.

Suggestions as to what I should I be looking for? The one linked to above was just the cheapest 30" light fixture that I could find listed on Amazon.

For a low tech setup, you want something in the 40-50W (T12 - NO) range. Since the T5HO's are more efficient than the T12, the equivalent W is around 30-40W.

That particular light you linked to would be 2x24 W, and would put you into medium to high light ... hence the possibility for CO2. <Fertilizers too, but ferts are easy enough to add.>

If you can run just one of the lights (some fixtures have individual switch allowing you to run one or 2 lights), it would be ideal. An alternative would be to run one actinic & one Daylight in that fixture. Actinics don't have the correct wavelength for FW, so won't "count" in your tank light level. That is one way of decreasing light level in a dual tube setup. <Although you would be wasting 50% of the electricity.> Having the dual fixture do give you the option to upgrade your light easily should you find that necessary.

If you are into DIY, you can make yourself a nice hood to house something like this:
36 or 55 watt Bright Kits
The 36 W kit would be a good start for medium light in your tank. It is only $45, but you do have to make your own hood or enclosure. <BTW - a PC is just a T5 bent into a U shape.>

Otherwise, I would suggest looking for a single T5HO fixture. That alone would be pretty good for your tank, and you can always supplement with your existing 18W if needed.

Ahh..I was unaware those were 24W! I have some $ saved in Paypal, so was browsing on Ebay and found a few some-what-affordable dual 18 watt lamps, got excited and switched over to Amazon and did a search and found that fixture..never pausing to check and see what the watts per bulb was. I checked and the Amazon light does indeed have two seperate on/off switches.

(Update to my original post..I did purchase a 20W T8 FloraGlo bulb for my current fixture a few weeks ago. That is what is currently on the tank.)

I'd advise you not to get a fixture that uses 30" bulbs. They're a pain to find. A 30" fixture that uses staggered 24" bulbs would be better.

Yep, not looking for 30" bulbs, just a 30" fixture as that's the width of my tank. The light I linked to uses 2x 24W 22" T5 bulbs.

For a low tech setup, you want something in the 40-50W (T12 - NO) range. Since the T5HO's are more efficient than the T12, the equivalent W is around 30-40W.

That particular light you linked to would be 2x24 W, and would put you into medium to high light ... hence the possibility for CO2. <Fertilizers too, but ferts are easy enough to add.>

If you can run just one of the lights (some fixtures have individual switch allowing you to run one or 2 lights), it would be ideal. An alternative would be to run one actinic & one Daylight in that fixture. Actinics don't have the correct wavelength for FW, so won't "count" in your tank light level. That is one way of decreasing light level in a dual tube setup. <Although you would be wasting 50% of the electricity.> Having the dual fixture do give you the option to upgrade your light easily should you find that necessary.

I looked around some more last night and found some simplified T5 fixtures for fairly cheap on Ebay that come with the actinic and daylight bulbs you mentioned. If I would go that route, wouldn't I only have 24W then instead of the 30-40W you recommended?

Yes, a 24W T5HO is on the low end of medium for your tank. Many plants will prefer it a bit brighter. But if you choose the right plants, that setup will work.

How much light gets into the tank depends a lot on how good the reflector is in the fixture. 24W with a good reflector is prob adequate for a low-medium setup. But if you go for a dual light setup, it is easy enough to swap out the actinic bulb with another daylight bulb should you find you want more light.

Ok, just wanted to make sure I wasn't confusing myself. Thank you so much for your help (and quick replies!). I do appreciate all of the advice!

Back
Top Bottom