External filter questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jo26

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am debating whether or not to get an external filter for my 29 gallon planted community tank.

I currently have a fluval u3 internal and I just think it takes up a lot of room and they don't look the best either. Was thinking that by swapping to an external it would be much easier to hide? But I know nothing about them as I've never used one.

Anyone got any suggestions on which are decent? Was thinking of one of the fluval externals?

Hi, I am debating whether or not to get an external filter for my 29 gallon planted community tank.

I currently have a fluval u3 internal and I just think it takes up a lot of room and they don't look the best either. Was thinking that by swapping to an external it would be much easier to hide? But I know nothing about them as I've never used one.

Anyone got any suggestions on which are decent? Was thinking of one of the fluval externals?
Get an Aquaclear, only hob filter I'll ever buy.

I don't think we can get them from the uk. The only ones I've seen when I looked just are being posted from Germany. Any other suggestions?

Sorry I'm using Aqueon QuietFlow 30 for my 29 gallon. I like it so far I can't see it and don't hear it either. You might be able to find them or AquaClear at Amazon.com.

Yeah I can find the aquaclears but none from the uk and I Don't want to order from abroad.

I went from an internal Fluval Filter to an external Fluval canister for my planted 25 gallon and would highly recommend it. Much more space for the fish to swim, quiet, and the water is cleaner. I detailed everything in my signature below if you want before and after pictures since it sounds like our tanks are similar.

I have the Fluval 206 canister, and it sits under my aquarium, out of sight. It is meant for a 60 gallon aquarium, but as your probably know, it is better to over filter your water. The Fluval 106 treats 25 gallon tanks. It is very quiet, easy to clean, and you can adjust the flow rate. You can also customize the filter media if you would like. It is more expensive than a HOB filter (well worth it in my opinion, I had HOB for a week before realizing the canister was the way to go). Also, the input and output nozzle are clear, so you have to clean it every month or so to keep it looking good.

In all, the pros heavily outweigh the cons.

Last edited:
Yeah I've been looking at the 206's so I will go for one of those I think. Like you say, better to over filter. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom