Extra hardware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stoneydee

Aquarium Advice Freak
DH and I are having a conversation about the wisdom of investing in some back-up hardware - extra heaters and filters. We have seven tanks - three 10s, one 20, two 37s, and one 55 (the 55 is FOWLR and the others are FW).

The reason for the conversation is the heater failure he had on his SW tank a couple of days ago, apparently while we were at work. Fortunately, the QT was empty, and we used the 50 w heater turned all the way up till we could replace the other the next day. So we wondered, wouldn't it be a good idea to have some spares - not necessarily one of each for each tank, just an extra or two. After all, we can't always be sure if a piece of equipment fails that 1) the fish store will be open, and 2) that we'll have the money for replacement stuff.

Anyone do this?

I do this, but mainly because of changes in setups leaving behind extra stuff. Over the years much of it has come in handy from time to time, and I think heaters are probably the biggie, and the easiest to keep extras of, since they are not terribly costly. I like to have backup filtration, because at some point a part on a filter will fail and you will be stuck for a couple of days, or forced to pay big $$ because you don't have time to order cheaper online.

When it comes to heaters, I like to keep 2 in each tank, one at each end, for more even heat distribution and as insurance in the case of heater failure. Temp fluctuations and heater failures are more dangerous to the fish than being without filtration for a few hours or even a day or two, believe it or not.

It's an excellent idea Stoneydee. An ounce of prevention as they say. I also keep a back up air pump, as I'm dependant on my sponge filters in 2 tanks. Both are very inexpensive items. :)

I have an extra Aquaclear 200, 50 watt heater, 24 inch hood, and two battery powered air pumps. The filter, heater and hood got upgraded so I just keep the old parts around. Each tank has multiple filters as well, so I always have some extra bio material around. I could have total equipment failure on either tank and be OK.

My daughter has bought so many back up items for her fish project this summer we look like a fish store in one cupboard.
Finally all her items are arriving in the mail. If they had been here last week I'd have had a lot of choices when upgrading. (I still have to get a replacement for any of hers I use. No use in having back-ups..if they re not there)

Personally I plan to have a few back up heater and filter refills on hand. Having all the little acrylic stackable tanks around has been VERY handy. Makes emergencies into inconveniences :)

I agree with the wisdom of this - fortunately, I've had the same experience as TankGirl. I've bought and sold a few tanks, and I always seem to wind up with extra stuff. Right now I've got some spare heaters, a Magnum 330 (precursor to the 350), and Penguin 125... nice to have around just in case!

Back
Top Bottom