Extra snails!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Week ago i bought 2 zebra nerite snails for my tank. This morning i have spotted 8 tiny snails. These are just the ones i can see, i hate to think how many lurk in and around my plants. Now i cant believe these are little baby zebras as they are not alike at all. Just wondering how they got in here lol

Yeah, nerites can't breed in fresh water, so you're right in your belief lol
I'd assume they are either ramshorns or pond snails, both of which are hermaphroditic and their egg sacs are extremely hard to spot. They could have rode in as an egg sac on one of the nerites shells, but the most likely case is that there was some sacs on some plants you bought.
I can't tell you how many times I've ended up with a new color of snail from new plant orders! Lol

Yea i did add new plants a day after the nerites. Just i bought the nerites for the reason of them not reproducing. Oh well looks like i'll be getting an assassin snail on the horizon. Will it attack the nerites??

My nerite is about nickel-quarter size and my assassin has not assassinated him.

Back
Top Bottom