Extremely Low pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJurgelewicz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 26 Gallon tank that his been up and running for about 4 months. Recently I added a live plant, I think a Java Fern. I am using Aqueon Plant Food. It is growing in drift wood.

Since then, my pH has been dropping extremely low, possibly below 6.0 (the lowest the API Master Kit reads). I have been using pH increase in order to try and keep it about 7.0 but I can't figure out why it keeps crashing like that. I know the driftwood lowers ph, but it is a very small piece and I dont think it should affect it that much should it?

My tap water pH is 7.6. After a 50% water change, it reads 6.0 on the API master test kit after 24 hours.

What can I do to fix this since I know fluctuating pH is not good, but I can't let it get stable since it is so low.

Have you tried testing your water pH level after a day of just letting it sit(aging) for the additives to dissipate? pH level is usually lower after that. Depending on the DW, some will release a lot of tannins and some very little. It may be your DW even if it's a small piece.

What kind of fish are in the tank? Most likely the pH is of no concern, but you could buffer it with some baking soda, or crushed coral substrate.

Your pH Question

I have a 26 Gallon tank that his been up and running for about 4 months. Recently I added a live plant, I think a Java Fern. I am using Aqueon Plant Food. It is growing in drift wood.

Since then, my pH has been dropping extremely low, possibly below 6.0 (the lowest the API Master Kit reads). I have been using pH increase in order to try and keep it about 7.0 but I can't figure out why it keeps crashing like that. I know the driftwood lowers ph, but it is a very small piece and I dont think it should affect it that much should it?

My tap water pH is 7.6. After a 50% water change, it reads 6.0 on the API master test kit after 24 hours.

What can I do to fix this since I know fluctuating pH is not good, but I can't let it get stable since it is so low.

Hello K...

As long as you're removing and replacing half the water in the tank, you don't need to worry about the water chemistry. By doing large, weekly water changes, there's no time for pullutants to build up in the water before the next large water change.

I'd put away the testing kit and not worry about the pH. Just keep doing the 50 percent water changes every week. The fish and plants will adapt to the tank's water conditions.

B

Just Platys and Mollies. However, I find their scales look like they are peeling once in a while and I test the pH and it is very low. Not sure if they are related but they do look normal when I raise the pH.

Also, the reason I am thinking the pH gets lower then 6.0 even though the API kit cant measure it is because sometimes when I use pH Increase and I test later it is up to like 6.5 - 7.0. Other times, I have to use it 2 - times over the course of 2 days until the API kit reads even slightly above 6.0.

I will try leaving tap water out over night and testing it tomorrow.

Hello K...

As long as you're removing and replacing half the water in the tank, you don't need to worry about the water chemistry. By doing large, weekly water changes, there's no time for pullutants to build up in the water before the next large water change.

I'd put away the testing kit and not worry about the pH. Just keep doing the 50 percent water changes every week. The fish and plants will adapt to the tank's water conditions.

B

So even if the water is getting below 6.0 pH, that acidic water will not harm the fish?

It's most likely the driftwood! Did you soak the driftwood in water in a bucket to remove all the Tannins? My piece of driftwood took a month while changing the water daily to rid the wood of Tannins!

It's most likely the driftwood! Did you soak the driftwood in water in a bucket to remove all the Tannins? My piece of driftwood took a month while changing the water daily to rid the wood of Tannins!

The driftwood was purchased from the local fish store, it was in their tank prior to purchase. Also, it has been in my tank for about 2 months now.

Also, if it is the driftwood, what can / should I do about it?

KJurgelewicz said:
The driftwood was purchased from the local fish store, it was in their tank prior to purchase. Also, it has been in my tank for about 2 months now.

Also, if it is the driftwood, what can / should I do about it?

Is your water turning in to a "tea like color? What I do with mine to release tannin fast, is I boil the DW a couple of times changing water when the water turns dark brown.

Is any of the water a brownish color? If it is than its still releasing Tannins! If it's not than it is probably OK and not the wood.By the way, Tannin will not hurt the fish.

Then it's not the wood! Also its not the Java Fern either. I have 2 Java Ferns and my pH equals my tap water at 7.6. If you are truly reading 6.0, it could be actually lower than that!!! The API kit registers only down to 6.0 meaning it reads the same color with the pH at 5,4,3,etc. So you really dont know where you are! I would at this point do WC's untill I got a favorable reading above the 6.0 color.

I am buffering now with pH increase. Is that the only permanent solution? I do change about 50% once a week. Should I do more for now?

I know I can be below 6.0 since thats the lowest the test kit reads, thats what worries me.

stop stressing and just do water changes you will be fine. it will take about 3 to 4 weeks and things will be back to normal

I wouldn't rely on pH UP to buffer your tank. A more suitable approach would be to introduce crushed coral into your tank. Have you tested your KH? If not, you should do so.

Back
Top Bottom