F1 and Wild Caught

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been in the market for Multies recently and they're really hard to find in stock, so I've been looking through an unhealthy amount of African Rift Cichlid lists. One thing I've noticed is that most of the big websites brag about selling "wild caught" and "F1" (offspring of wild caught) fish. What's reason for this? Aren't most Africans pretty easy to breed? I'd think it would make more sense to sell tank raised fish. Are wild caught fish supposed to be more colorful or something?

Im not 100% sure, but usually they (i think...)

-grow larger.
-demonstrate more natural behavior.
-exhibit a more natural coloration.
-are more likely to be a purebred.
-are more resistant Vs mass bred fish.

These are all good things that people like to have, even though it adds a bit to the cost in most cases.

Again, i think those are some of the reasons. But i don't have the $$ for the wilds, so i just buy from the LfS.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Im not 100% sure, but usually they (i think...)

-grow larger.
-demonstrate more natural behavior.
-exhibit a more natural coloration.
-are more likely to be a purebred.
-are more resistant Vs mass bred fish.

These are all good things that people like to have, even though it adds a bit to the cost in most cases.

Again, i think those are some of the reasons. But i don't have the $$ for the wilds, so i just buy from the LfS.

Ok, I guess I sort of suspected that. I think there's a bigger appeal for wild caught and F1 in cichlids than in fish like tetras or barbs because cichlids are known for their behavior, which you say would be more natural (which makes sense).

I've heard that with some fish tank raised is better because they're more likely to eat prepared foods. That's why I was confused.

Thanks!

Wc stock is sought after for breeding mostly I believe, mixing some wc genes into a few generations of tank raised can strengthen the brood. F1 would be the first Gen spawn of a wc pair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So i got it mostly right i guess. I know that fish like Neons, before my time, use to be a strong fish, but since specimens that weren't wild got mass bred, and inter-bred, the strength of the gene pool has decreased drastically. Wild caught fish obviously have to be tough to live so thats why people like them, as they act in a more natural (aggressive, usually) way and are healthier. And thats why people want them for breeding.

Typically tank raised have been line bred and traits not seen in the wild can be brought out. Many line bred peacock species have a different body shape than that of their wild caught brethren. You are getting what the species is supposed to look like, rather than what man bred.

Collection point is a big one too, as many species have different collection points that show different colorations, behavior, etc. and with early collecting and understanding of cichlids, a lot of these CP's have been bred into other CP's to create the fish we see commonly in the hobby today.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom