Fahaka puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrinn23

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anybody have any tips on this type of fish? Would a more square tank be more ideal for this fish considering they need a lot of space for turning when they get bigger?

Don't try to keep upgrading tanks. Just start by getting one tank and set it up properly so that you don't upgrading. In many cases, life gets in the way of upgrading. These fish grow 1" per month in the first year of life, so you'll end up with a 12" fish if you get one as a juvenile.

Permanent tank should have 24" width (120g, 180g, I think some 150g, and most of the 200+g tanks).

Feed a variety of crustaceans and keep up with the water changes.
Tankmates are not recommended.

Fahaka puffers can be kept with african cichlids but as stated above tankmates aren't best.

Well I think I'm going to go pick up a 150g square tank today...would that work?

Yeah it might work. If you get tankmate, then dont get attached to them since their survival rate dwindles as the fahaka matures into adulthood.

Yeah I'm not gonna bother with a tank mate he's gonna be the only one in it!

He'll be a happy as a clam. Don't forget to feed him some clams to trim his teeth.

A true animal lover would get a couch sized tank for 1 fish lol. Glad to know there's more of us out there lol

As soon as I saw some of the videos on him I knew he would have to be my next one...with a fish that gets that big and that awesome there's no need for any other fish haha. Quality not quantity...right? ;)

That is a unique fish. Definitely a centerpiece. I've never had any puffer fish but I've heard that when they expand it's because of stress and if they live through the first time they probably won't make it through the 2nd.

Puffing doesn't kill a puffer fish. Its not a good thing when it happens, but puffers will live through many "puff ups".

Is it inevitable to happen? Or if I keep good care of it will it not do it at all?

Yeah it might just happen even if you don't scare, anger, frighten, or make it try to intimidate fish or people.

Yes I have one right now. 7" big when last checked. Barney is in a 120g with 40g sump. None of my puffers has ever puffed up.

Yeah it would be ok without one. I just like the extra room from my sump and its easier maintenance for me than using a canister or HOB.

Alright thanks! I'll definitely know who I'll be going to for this project haha :)

Back
Top Bottom