Failure :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:nono:
It really is kinda sad that people get soooo emotionally worked up over this stuff.

Let me ask, is the OP keeping 3 bettas in a tank actually having any type of impact or influence in any of your daily lives?

Save your emotional anger and indignation for something that actually matters.

@Andy, remember there are a lot of young people/kids/children on this site and for some strange reason today experience doesn't seem to mean anything to them.
Sure you can read, watch videos, etc., etc., but it will never teach you new nuances of the science/craft/art of fish husbandry.
People laugh at me at times when I go to the lfs because I can pretty much tell at glance what fish are healthy and which are destined to die. (why I will never buy fish online, gotta see them in person)
That only comes with experience, no book or youtube video can teach it.

I guess we are just reaping the rewards of a generation growing up with instant gratification in the digital age.
But us old farts understand how it works, the more you learn, the less you know. :cool:

I did think the site was for all, I even started a thread a while back asking if people like myself, lack of experience or only having kept a couple different fish opposed to hundreds. The end result was yes share your experience, just simply state, in my situation ...... Or IMO ..... Etc

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes it is for all. This is why it is important how things are conveyed. It was this part of your post "I am only expressing how I personally feel. Weather right or wrong I'm clueless, but feel the OP was not truly ready for such a whatever you want to call it. " that got my attention. If you have no knowledge of the fish, how can you have this opinion?
I'm not here to argue with people. Trust me, that's the furthest from my intentions. But there is a lot, and I mean A LOT of bad info on the internet which needs to be addressed. Offering opinions based on no knowledge just seems counter productive. That's all I was saying.
I hope you do stick around so that you can learn more about the fish you are keeping from people who actually have kept them. (y)

:nono:
It really is kinda sad that people get soooo emotionally worked up over this stuff.

Let me ask, is the OP keeping 3 bettas in a tank actually having any type of impact or influence in any of your daily lives?

Save your emotional anger and indignation for something that actually matters.

@Andy, remember there are a lot of young people/kids/children on this site and for some strange reason today experience doesn't seem to mean anything to them.
Sure you can read, watch videos, etc., etc., but it will never teach you new nuances of the science/craft/art of fish husbandry.
People laugh at me at times when I go to the lfs because I can pretty much tell at glance what fish are healthy and which are destined to die. (why I will never buy fish online, gotta see them in person)
That only comes with experience, no book or youtube video can teach it.

I guess we are just reaping the rewards of a generation growing up with instant gratification in the digital age.
But us old farts understand how it works, the more you learn, the less you know. :cool:

Yes, and it's the young people keeping tropical fish that will either keep the hobby alive or sink it so it drowns. Wouldn't it be better if they had the right info based on facts and not opinions? :confused:

I'm with you, I too can detect a sick fish often just by their behavior. That comes from experience. I also won;t buy livestock over the internet for that same reason. Others do, which is fine, but hopefully, they are doing the right things such as quarantining and medicating with the right meds. How can they learn about that tho, if we ( us old farts :D) don;t keep bringing out the facts about what's going on in the hobby? Opinions don;t keep fish alive, facts do. Wouldn't you agree?
I just want to be the part of the hobby that keeps it going, not see it sink. (y)

Last comment here: why not agree to disagree? We all perceive things different. 10 of us can read the same thing and very possibly come up with 10 very different stories. It's about the fish and keeping them alive and healthy. ?

Last comment here: why not agree to disagree? We all perceive things different. 10 of us can read the same thing and very possibly come up with 10 very different stories. It's about the fish and keeping them alive and healthy. ��

Because fish husbandry is based on science, not opinion, that is why we can not simply agree to disagree.
Your perceptions don't change the science or reality (unless you're Schroedingers cat)

I didn't read the thread really, but the title got my attention. It's wonderful that we have the Internet now. We can all do our very best to be perfect fish keepers and not make any mistakes by doing diligent research and following the myriad of warnings about this and that that are out there. I'm sure a lot of people consider that a success - for someone to come here, get advice and follow it, resulting in a healthy tank. And superficially it is a success. Beneath the surface though, it's not so much. There is far more to learn from mistakes than successes. Almost anyone can follow directions to success - doesn't mean they understand why they are doing what they are doing, or how the pieces of the puzzle interact with each other.

I didn't read the thread really, but the title got my attention. It's wonderful that we have the Internet now. We can all do our very best to be perfect fish keepers and not make any mistakes by doing diligent research and following the myriad of warnings about this and that that are out there. I'm sure a lot of people consider that a success - for someone to come here, get advice and follow it, resulting in a healthy tank. And superficially it is a success. Beneath the surface though, it's not so much. There is far more to learn from mistakes than successes. Almost anyone can follow directions to success - doesn't mean they understand why they are doing what they are doing, or how the pieces of the puzzle interact with each other.

I'm not easily confused but here you say to "follow the myriads of warnings", yet in another thread you were very quick to contradict this statement by saying "you don't follow warnings because they don't happen". So which is it ?

I'm not easily confused but here you say to "follow the myriads of warnings", yet in another thread you were very quick to contradict this statement by saying "you don't follow warnings because they don't happen". So which is it ?

That's easy - I was being sarcastic in this thread. The point being that you don't learn anything encapsulating yourself in a bubble of overprotection.

Back
Top Bottom