fairly new to bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thank you... ive been researching so many different things and im not sure what is best to use for bettas... ive seen good reviews on betta revive and quick cure and ive also been doing daily part water changes... seems to be helping reduce the visibility of the spot and the discoloration like its fading in with the rest of his coloring almost like his color is changing and ive not treated him yet except increasing the water changes and aquarium salt... hes still a lil dancer hence the name...

If he is improving with water changes and salt I'd skip the meds. The less you can add to a rank the better when it comes to medications/chemicals. If you use the melifix use 1/5 the dose. Labyrinth breathers don't do well at the recommended dose. If it is a fungus the melifix will do nothing.

took my lil dancer out n put him in his cup to do the part water change and examine him better. the spot on his head now looks like part of his scales and his face looks like its changing to a lighter blue instead of the darker reddish purple it was. ive noticed his fins also seem to be going through fin rot or loss. they are discolored darkened but growing back and whitish and thinning at the ends. his fins have a bluish color to them that fades into the bright red so its hard to tell unless hes in his cup and in good light like in the kitchen. i tried melafix for fin rot before with him but he seemed to get sick from the medicine. his behavior is still normal as well as his eating and interacting to me...

these pictures i just took of him... i tried to get some clear shots esp of his tail fins because they are the longest and curling up and the thinnest

Attachments

• 100_0574.jpg
    100_0574.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_0568.jpg
    100_0568.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 100_0613.jpg
    100_0613.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0598.jpg
    100_0598.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 70
thats what im thinking. Im finding that even having a small filter with a 1 gal its necessary to do part water changes daily. i spent 2 nights at my moms and wasnt home but fed him before i left and had done a water change that day and did one as soon as i got home yesterday. i noticed his fins seemed to be a bit dark yesterday as well... i think if hes healing on his own to let him heal and not add any chemicals or anything unless absolutely necessary...

dancersmama79 said:
thats what im thinking. Im finding that even having a small filter with a 1 gal its necessary to do part water changes daily. i spent 2 nights at my moms and wasnt home but fed him before i left and had done a water change that day and did one as soon as i got home yesterday. i noticed his fins seemed to be a bit dark yesterday as well... i think if hes healing on his own to let him heal and not add any chemicals or anything unless absolutely necessary...

Sounds like a plan. If/when you can afford it get him a larger tank. Even a 2.5g. You'll find the water conditions will stay more stable so less water changes and stress on him. The bigger the tank the easier it is to look after.

dancersmama79 said:
I plan on getting him a 5 or 10 gal and cycling it and get it ready for him then put him in it and eventually some tank mates like snails or neon tetras...

Sounds good! The 5 gal you can have your Betta and an apple snail and/or shrimp (he may eat them though) and in a 10 you can have other fish like a school of nano fish (ember tetras, harlequin rasboras, etc). neons are debatable in a 10. Some say they need more swimming space some say they are fine. I'm on the fence with that one.

thanks for the suggestions. Ive heard neon tetras get along well with bettas and ive been looking up about other tankmates as well. as i have anxiety problems with people and stay at home alot with my 3yr old Dancer is a joy to have around. my daughter is also enjoying feeding him and interacting him... Since our dog died last thanksgiving its been lonly and we just cant aford the vet bills and other things having a dog involves... :)

dancersmama79 said:
thanks for the suggestions. Ive heard neon tetras get along well with bettas and ive been looking up about other tankmates as well. as i have anxiety problems with people and stay at home alot with my 3yr old Dancer is a joy to have around. my daughter is also enjoying feeding him and interacting him... Since our dog died last thanksgiving its been lonly and we just cant aford the vet bills and other things having a dog involves... :)

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. :( always hard to loose a pet. Dancer is a lucky little fish! :) I have a 3yo daughter too and she loves to help out with my fish. It teaches them responsibility and about life. :)

our dog was a dog my parents got from a shelter when she was 6wks old and she was 9yrs old when she died... we all had gotten attached to her and my daughter asks for her still. now first thing when we get up she wants to check on dancer and we feed him and stay in here for a few minutes

dancersmama79 said:
How much aquarium gravel would i need for a 10 gallon tank? and are the bubble stones necessary for a tank that size for bettas?

I'm not sure on the gravel but I can tell you I used 22 pounds of sand in my 10g and got a good 2 inches coverage. No air stone for bettas. They prefer the waters surface to be still so they can breathe from it. :)

dancersmama79 said:
i had read on some sites that u had to have an air stone for bettas to oxygenate the water... thats why i asked...
:) that's why AA is so great!
No need to oxygenate the water with an air stone in nearly every tank. The filter usually provides enough surface agitation to allow oxygen exchange. When a tank is over stocked, it's a goldfish tank, the heat is high during a treatment or the fish are gasping at the surface one is needed. Bettas take oxygen from the surface so too much movement isn't good for them.

So far AA is the best site ive found for good sound advice and i appreciate you sharing all your knowledge with me as well as conversation :) I added a small mini heater to dancers tank to keep his temp more stable and hes been more aggressive today but im sure it takes some adjusting to having something new in there. his fins look even better today :)

Back
Top Bottom