fairly new to bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many gallons is the filter rated for?
Bc you might be able to put it on the new tank and then itll already be cycled and good to go. Youve just gotta temperature match the water

All you need to do is dechlorinate the water, being it up to temperature, move the filter media from the 1g into the new 5g filter. That way nearly all the bacteria will be moved to the new tank to process dancers ammonia output. Once the 5g tank is cycled you can do weekly 50% water changes or twice weekly 25% if you prefer. I think it's safe to discontinue the salt treatment now.

how can u tell that the tank is fully cycled?? The tank im getting comes with a med filter where for the 1 gal i had a small filter. but i have his plants and his stones and his heater. also was wondering if i will need to do a complete water change at some point in his 5 gal or can i use one of those aquarium gravel cleaners?

dancersmama79 said:
how can u tell that the tank is fully cycled?? The tank im getting comes with a med filter where for the 1 gal i had a small filter. but i have his plants and his stones and his heater. also was wondering if i will need to do a complete water change at some point in his 5 gal or can i use one of those aquarium gravel cleaners?

I've forgotten but do you own a test kit? You will know when the tank is cycled because when you test the tank, for a few days straight, you will get 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and increasing nitrate. Can you take the 'insides' (media) out of the 1g filter and put it into the new filter. If you don't then the new tank will have to cycle and that will be stressful on dancer. No need for 100% water changes because the tank will be larger so the waste won't build up as fast. Plus 100% water changes can be stressful.

ok thanks for the link... i dont have a water test kit yet... with his original filter u cant transfer whats in there cause the cartridge is too small for the bigger filter...

dancersmama79 said:
ok thanks for the link... i dont have a water test kit yet... with his original filter u cant transfer whats in there cause the cartridge is too small for the bigger filter...

The sooner you can get a test kit the better :) (but I'm sure you know that) Another option is to run both filters next to each other for a minimum 4 weeks so the 1g filter can 'seed' the new one with bacteria.

Apple snails can get quite big. So big that they have an ammonia output like a small fish. Because of that they need 2.5g for each snail. A 1g bowl will make a perfect shrimp home though.

dancersmama79 said:
like ghost shrimp? what do u need to set up a tank for them and how many can u keep in a one gal?

Yes. 2-3 shrimp IMO. You can run the 1g filter on the 5g tank then 2-3 weeks after the tank is cycled you can move the 1g filter back to the 1g tank instantly cycling it and add your shrimp.

dancersmama79 said:
im just wanting to put that tank to use since i have it... :)

I totally understand! I will have a spare tank, heater and filter for a quarantine set up but I ALWAYS end up stocking it with fish and having to get another one for QT which then turns in to another stocked tank and so on. It's such an addiction! :D

when i start cycling the 5gal with both filters and with the plants and stones from dancers previous tank, do i need to add ammonia as well? ive heard several articles mention fishless cycling using ammonia. ive heard its faster and was thinking i could keep him in his current container while cycling the new tank??? ive also read that its not a good thing to replace the filters that often only when its absolutely necessary???

dancersmama79 said:
when i start cycling the 5gal with both filters and with the plants and stones from dancers previous tank, do i need to add ammonia as well? ive heard several articles mention fishless cycling using ammonia. ive heard its faster and was thinking i could keep him in his current container while cycling the new tank??? ive also read that its not a good thing to replace the filters that often only when its absolutely necessary???

Fishless cycling is no faster than fish in cycling. You absolutely do not want to add ammonia to any tank that contains a fish or invertebrate. Fish give off ammonia.

I would put him in his new tank as soon as you get it. If his old tank hasn't finished cycling by the time you get the new one it doesn't matter. You move the filter and finish the cycle in the new tank. It won't start again from the beginning.

Do not replace filter media until it is literally fall apart. Then you put the new media in next to the old so the new gets bacteria on it.

i should be getting the water test kit the first wk of feb getting his new tank in 2wks... The tank hes in now is the 2 gal container and its not deep enough for the filter so im having to do complete water changes evry few days but he does have his heater and evrything else...

dancersmama79 said:
i should be getting the water test kit the first wk of feb getting his new tank in 2wks... The tank hes in now is the 2 gal container and its not deep enough for the filter so im having to do complete water changes evry few days but he does have his heater and evrything else...

So has the filter dried out?! How long has it been out? The bacteria need food (ammonia and nitrite), water and oxygen to stay alive.

dancersmama79 said:
its been 4 days since i took the filter out... can i run the filter in the empty gal tank and get it going again that way??

No, because there is not ammonia in the tank.
You will need to cycle the new tank from scratch. When you get it put dancer in and he will be the ammonia source. Read the link 'I just learnt about cycling but I already have fish' article. That is what you will have to follow.

Back
Top Bottom