False ammonia readings???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sniperfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been testing my water daily, and have been getting a consistent .25 ppm ammo reading. Seeing as everything indicated the tank was cycled (nitrites were back down to zero and nitrates are between 10-20 ppm), i tested my tap water, a bottle of spring water and distilled water, and all of them were also reading .25 ppm, is it a faulty test or am I just misreading my results? I'm using the API freshwater master test kits.

If everything is reading 0.25, then you have a false reading. It is pretty hard to read the color right off the card when you are dealing with low levels.

I would use the distilled water as reference. That should be zero. So if your tank test looks like the distilled water, it is zero also. Use that as your zero reference (take a pic), and only worry about ammonia if the color is darker than that.

And By your numbers, I would say your tank is cycled.

i find those color cards so hard to read. the best way is to go to a window, turn so your back is facing the window. hold the test tube up and a few inches from the color card and then read your test. if it's close to .25 do a water change and add seachem prime to treat the water. and i also agree with what jsoong said

so as long as my tank and the distilled water read the same, they are both at zero?

Back
Top Bottom